Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Upgrade table saw worth it?

Is it worth it? I thought it was, so I upgraded from a honest to goodness American made Delta Contractor's Saw to the SawStop 3hp PCS.

You can hang the Benchdog router table right on it without any trouble, at least I didn't have any trouble with mine. If you decide to get the SS, they are running a promotion currently, you can get either their older overarm dust collection boom or the PCS mobility kit. Go for the boom, and if you need mobility, spring for the Industrial kit. The 360 maneuverability is far better than 2 swivel 2 fixed of the PCS kit.

I have been very happy with the saw, and save for getting the mobility kit rather than the boom, there's nothing I would do differently.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Right now trying to decide if sell the benchdog in combo with old saw and buy the new Sawstop router insert or not. Figure can get $200 for it. SS's inline is $499 + 160 filler piece for 36" saw (they hide that filler cost detail till you start building/pricing it out). If hand on left side of saw, it will make saw wider, but won't have to deal with the inline piece. Prefer left, but extra width may be hindrance. Also, have to lower my workbench to 34" height to match saw; currently at 36.5 to match my existing saw (and I am 5'11"). In end, looking at pcs 3hp 36" with ics base, overarm dust (promo), and inline router wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Dool View Post
    Right now trying to decide if sell the benchdog in combo with old saw and buy the new Sawstop router insert or not. Figure can get $200 for it. SS's inline is $499 + 160 filler piece for 36" saw (they hide that filler cost detail till you start building/pricing it out). If hand on left side of saw, it will make saw wider, but won't have to deal with the inline piece. Prefer left, but extra width may be hindrance. Also, have to lower my workbench to 34" height to match saw; currently at 36.5 to match my existing saw (and I am 5'11"). In end, looking at pcs 3hp 36" with ics base, overarm dust (promo), and inline router wing.
    You won't find a better overarm dust collection from any other cabinet saws than the SS's. The new overarm pipe is no where near the overarm tube in terms of ease of use as the latter does not require any adjustments for any cuts -- unless you resaw thin strips and have to remove it. The new overarm, heavy pipe requires constant adjustments either in its height or width.

If you do not have a powerful dust collector (at least 2 HP or more) for both under the table and over arm dust collection, you can connect the overarm dust collection to a shop vac.

I now use the saw without wearing any dust mask, unless making edge cuts. Even MDFs pose zero dust concerns in regular cuts.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    About the price difference...When I got my PCS two years ago at Rockler, I asked the manager about the cost of other 3HP cabinet saws. He said that either the PM 2000, or the Delta Unisaw was more than the 3HP PCS with the good 36" fence, like I got. It was during the annual sale, that got me a free PCS mobile base I never used. Mine sits on a 4" high permanent base.

PS: I got curious, and checked Amazon prices. All are 3HP, 30-36" tables with Beis clone fences.

PM 1000.... $2049
    Jet............ 2349
    Delta Unisaw... 2599
    SawStop PCS... 2899
    PM 2000...... 3371
    SawStop ICS.... 4267

Rick,

just to add to your list, here are two Grizzly saws that seem to get great reviews. (I own a G1023RLWX and love it) both 3 HP with 30-36” rails.

G0690..... $1,750
    G1023RL....$1,475

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!