Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squares, just squares...

Jim,

Have you considered picking up another framing square and sandwiching the short side with wood scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Markunas View Post
    I want to love the little PEC blem I bought from Epsteins but I must confess I am underwhelmed. It is plenty square enough for woodworking but it does not lock down all that well. Very frustrating to use it to mark out something like a chamfer and discover that my square thinks the chamfer should be tapered instead of a constant width. I'll replace it with a Starrett at some point but it will be a while until that floats to the top of my acquisition list.
    If the square won't hold a setting, it's defective. It should be returned for a replacement or refund. I don't know Epsteins, but if they are reputable, there should be little or no difficulty. I know Taylor stands behind the quality of the blems they sell.

Edit: Or you could always take the thing apart, find the cause of the problem and fix it yourself. But then, if you were the tinkering type, you probably would have done that already instead of posting news of your intent to abandon the tool.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 02-24-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Afterthought
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Jim,

Have you considered picking up another framing square and sandwiching the short side with wood scales?
    It has been given some thought but isn't quite to my liking.

If you notice the small framing square in the picture of my squares in post #2 it has 'ears' attached so it can be used like a try square.

Things will eventually come together for me to make one to my liking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Was able to actually read the markings on that framing square.....it was made by Great Neck Tool Co. Imagine that....