Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for 6" Metal duct work and fittings

Question Source for 6" Metal duct work and fittings

I am going to pull the trigger on a ClearVue cyclone in the near future. While looking for duct work I find that it is not cheap. Is there a good cheap source out there to help make the plumbing a little for affordable?

You can use 26 gage snap-lock "stove pipe" available from the 'borg and from local HVAC places for your straight pipe. (The 'borg only tends to offer 24" sections, however...I got 5' from HVAC supply house) Fittings are a little more of a challenge as things like HVAC wyes are "backwards" from what is used for dust collection, but they can be re-engineered. It's also more difficult to find long-radius adjustable elbows from HVAC type suppliers. There are a variety of places online to order them from including Oneida Air Systems, Air Handling Systems, KenCraft, etc. They also carry DC wyes and transitions so you can best match your drops to your machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You should put your location (state/province at least) in your profile so people know where you are. What may be real cheap in one area of the continent may be way more in another and sources in one may, due to transportation costs, be too high for you. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    You should put your location (state/province at least) in your profile so people know where you are. What may be real cheap in one area of the continent may be way more in another and sources in one may, due to transportation costs, be too high for you. Good luck with your search.
    Done thanks

Someone just turned me on to Grainger selling 5 packs of 26 gauge 6" for $63. That is less than what BORG sells 30 gauge.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Kencraft has decent prices on fittings if you're going with snap lock type pipe: https://www.kencraftcompany.com/prod...e-accessories/

Doesn't the snap lock duct leak a lot?

Foil tape is what I use to seal fittings.

+1 on Kencraft fittings

Carl

I was looking a while back and Home Depot had 5' sections of 6" snap loc. Not sure on the fittings though.

The prices look much better at kencraft than I was looking at elsewhere. I would even be able to drive to them and save on shipping.

Are the crimped ends for connecting to other metal ducting or fittings?

And the not crimped ends for connecting flex hose?

Here is the link to the Grainger 5 packs of 26 gauge in 5' long 6" diameter sections that Carl was referring to. https://www.grainger.com/product/GRE...nap-Lock-6EKF0
    I am using the comparable 5" diameter for my small setup and am very happy with the quality. I am also using Kencraft for my fittings thanks to a previous recommendation by Carl.

Craig thanks for putting in the link!

Matthew - Yes the crimps are on the correct end from Kencraft

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Doesn't the snap lock duct leak a lot?
    Nope. And foil tape is added insurance...don't use "duct tape" (the grey stuff). Contrary to marketing logic, "duct tape" or "duck tape" to some folks, is terrible for this application. Foil tape is sticky seals up easily around uneven areas, doesn't "un-stick", but is easy to cut at a joint to make changes in the future if necessary. In most cases, it alleviates the need to use pop rivets or screws to reinforce joints outside of highly stressed areas right at gates on overhead drops, etc.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I was looking a while back and Home Depot had 5' sections of 6" snap loc. Not sure on the fittings though.
    They have 5' of 30 gage, but in my experience, they typically only have 24" in the heavier 26 gage which is more desirable for home shop DC purposes.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    The prices look much better at kencraft than I was looking at elsewhere. I would even be able to drive to them and save on shipping.

Are the crimped ends for connecting to other metal ducting or fittings?

And the not crimped ends for connecting flex hose?

Crimped ends face toward the dust collector and yes, they make assembly easy. Once you use the foil tape already mentioned...you're good to go.
    --