Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live center chucks

Blog Entries

Live center chucks

I'm wanting to purchase a drill chuck for my G0766 so I can use Forstner bits to hollow bowls and vases.
    Has anyone bought from big box stores for both the chuck and drills and consider them to be of good value?
    What about HF?
    Thank you.

I use the drill chuck and Forstner bits from Lee Valley....

Jacobs chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I'm wanting to purchase a drill chuck for my G0766 so I can use Forstner bits to hollow bowls and vases.
    Has anyone bought from big box stores for both the chuck and drills and consider them to be of good value?
    What about HF?
    Thank you.
    Jacob's chucks? I have several but I bought them from woodturning dealers. That way they come with the #2 Morse taper mandrel to fit into the tailstock and headstock. If you get them from elsewhere you might have to find a mandrel that fits. I'd get one threaded for a draw bar so you can use it in the headstock spindle too.

A Jacob's chuck is useful for many things, hate to be without it. But for drilling on the lathe with Forstner bits I generally use something a lot simpler, quicker to use, takes less space, less weight, and potentially more precise, made to hold end mills for machining:

41Dcgv1lGkL.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXSP25W

This holds the Forstner bit with set screws. I bought the 3/8" size since I have several sets with 3/8" shanks. It was only about $13. It is much shorter than a big Jacob's chuck too.

BTW, I don't think you actually want a live center chuck since to drill from the tailstock you don't want the bit to spin.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-20-2018 at 12:57 PM.

I've been using a cheap Chinese HF Jacob's chuck for about 6 years, and for $8 it works fine. Looks as though the price must've gone up to $15: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-ha...uck-42340.html

I also bought their Forstner bit set for maybe $10 for 7 bits, and they're ok, too.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...-pc-62361.html
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 02-20-2018 at 1:05 PM.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I too use a dedicated chuck with a Morse taper, mine just happens to be a Jacobs. I do know that for some process accuracy and ease of use are considerations. I do like the look of the Keyless type.
    I used to use Forstner bits but now use a reground Speedbore with a rounded end like the attached photo. Sometimes I start the hole in a box or hollow form with a Forstner then move to this type to get a rounded bottom which I find much easier to finish to.
    IMG_3283.jpg
    For more information you might enjoy this post on my Blog.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...d-lathe-drill/
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

If I'm just hollowing out something like a bird house or similar, I just grab the cheap HF keyed Jacob's chuck. If I'm drilling out a vase from 9" to 13" deep, I've been very satisfied with the Carter Strongbore. MT2 taper with set screws hold the forstner bit. Usually had problems going that deep with an extension on the Jacob's chuck. Either the bit or the MT2 taper would slip so I switched over and problem solved.
    Carter Strongbore 1.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I have a couple of HF MT chucks. They both were cheap, work fine and are likely to last a long time. I use them with both common twist drills and Forstner bits.

BTW, your title was "Live Center" chuck. Typically when I think of a live center I think of something with a bearing. There is actually such a thing as a live center chuck and is used to hold the end of something that spins. Kind of like a steady but it locks onto the piece. If you tried to use it for drilling, it would just spin unless you put a key in the hole - - which probably isn't a good practice.

Blog Entries
    John, Peter...nice catch. Just seeing if you're paying attention.

Neither Menards nor Farm&Fleet had a tapered shank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    John, Peter...nice catch. Just seeing if you're paying attention.

Neither Menards nor Farm&Fleet had a tapered shank.
    I've bought three excellent keyless chucks at a good price from VM Woodworking:

Mike Hare 404-610-1503, Smyrna, GA
    Vmwoodworking1982@yahoo.com

JKJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am embarrassed to admit that I cannot find a drill chuck with an M2 taper that does not spin. The one I have is “live” and I have to grip it with a vise to drill with it.

I can’t discern from online product descriptions whether they spin live or are stationary.

Can anyone point me to a proper tailstock drilling chuck that is stationary?

chuck spinning

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am embarrassed to admit that I cannot find a drill chuck with an M2 taper that does not spin. The one I have is “live” and I have to grip it with a vise to drill with it.

I can’t discern from online product descriptions whether they spin live or are stationary.

Prashun, the VM Woodturning source I mentioned has them.

Be it known that any MT shank Jacob's chuck will turn in the tailstock if it encounters too much rotational force from drilling such as aggressively drilling large and deep holes. What I and many others do is hold the chuck with my left hand while advancing the tailstock. The large diameter keyless Jacob's chucks with a knurled exterior are the easiest to grip - it doesn't take much grip. If the bit grabs too hard I quickly back off the tailstock, stop the lathe, and free the bit.

Some people do prevent the MT from turning by using a wrench or vise grips. I do that when boring very deep holes with long twist drills - I just hold them in the vise grips and forget the chuck.

It would be nice if there were a way to use a draw bar to hold the chuck in the tailstock but that would prevent advancing with the crank.

Another option is to remove the work from the headstock, chuck/faceplate and all, and mount it on the tailstock in a MT spindle thread adapter - I got one with a 1-1/4x8tpi from Best Wood Tools and another from Nova. Then mount the Jacob's chuck in the headstock spindle and hold it securely with a drawbar and crank the work into the spinning bit. You still have to keep the work from spinning if you force the bit but that's usually easier with the large diameter.

adapter_chuck_reversing.jpg
    http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/onepihetachr.html

You can make a drawbar from a piece of all-thread. I made them in 5/16" and 1/4".

Another thing I prefer to use when drill holes, as long as I have the right size, are taper shank bits. They have the Morse taper built in and eliminate the chuck completely (more compact, less chance of tolerance problems):

taper_1_IMG_20160919_094408.jpg taper_2_IMG_20160919_094945.jpg

The smaller bits come in #1MT only but a precision adapter is cheap.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I use this one from Lee Valley... http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...330,69091&ap=1 ....it doesn't spin..

I second David's approach. Cheap Jacobs chuck when you just need to hog out wood or set a rough depth. Carter Strongbore for more accurate deep holes. I tried a couple other cheap extensions first, but the Carter is much better. Have been wanting go try out the taper bits John recommends, but they haven't made it to the top of the "next purchase" list yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tibbetts View Post
    ...Have been wanting go try out the taper bits John recommends, but they haven't made it to the top of the "next purchase" list yet.
    I lucked into a closeout deal and bought a drawer full for $1 each. Probably never see that again!

JKJ

Thank you, Barry and John.!