Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blue Spruce Coping Saw

Blue Spruce Coping Saw

I was about to purchase a Knew Concepts saw but while reading reviews and comments about which one to get the Blue Spruce Coping Saw surfaced. Any news on when it will be available?

You'll need to contact Dave directly.

As for the Knew Concepts saw, I liked it enough to buy it twice.
    For sectioning stone tooth models, there's nothing better...the tension setting cam arm is really helpful.
    While it looks sorta ugly, it's light, stiff, and dissappears in function.

Knowing Dave, his version will be very beautiful and feel great in the hand.
    It'll probably work better than average too.

I've been following it on his Instagram. He has first parts, is working on his waiting list, and doesn't have enough to add it to his website (yet). I haven't seen a price announced either. He did show it at the Portland L-N Event, maybe someone who attended and saw it can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I've been following it on his Instagram. He has first parts, is working on his waiting list, and doesn't have enough to add it to his website (yet). I haven't seen a price announced either. He did show it at the Portland L-N Event, maybe someone who attended and saw it can chime in.
    Ditto that. It will be interesting to read some user comments on the Blue Spruce saw.

Since it looks like the Blue Spruce saw may take a while I plan to purchase one of the Knew Concepts fret saws. Member Derek Cohen recommends the 3" version for dovetail work. So that narrows it down to the older version (MK3?), MKIV or TI Birdcage version. What is recommended for a novice woodworker just getting started into making dovetails?

Edit: After viewing an Adam Savage video, not only does Derek recommend the 3" saw but Brian Meek from Knew Concepts also recommends the 3" version for dovetails.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 02-20-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Darn, I was really hoping this was an announcement that this was available for sale --- just as well though, I've kind of over-extended the budget on a Festool CT Midi and Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy.

Blog Entries
    When my Knew Concepts saw was purchased the full rotational blade holder wasn't yet available so the 45º blade rotation model was purchased. If another one is purchased it will be the fully rotational version. Having 45º works well, but who can resist going the full circle? Besides, my area code is 360 why not have a saw that goes with it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    After getting a Knew Concepts fret saw, I quit using my coping saw. I prefer a fret saw to a coping saw.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-20-2018 at 5:18 PM.

I guess I'll do without either...as these hands will not allow me to use a broom-handle like handle for saw work...Gave away my "Gent's saws" because it hurts the hands to saw with that kind of handle.....Uncle Arthur says so... Even using a pen....I have trouble holding all but the fattest ones...pencils aren't much better...

I spoke with Dave Jeske at the Portland Lie-Nielsen event this weekend. He had the new saw there, and it is as classy and beautiful as you would expect from Blue Spruce. The saw can be set to allow it to freely pivot, or can be easily locked into one of several detents. He had 8 or 10 different finishes for the saw body, both anodized and ceramic, and either natural aluminum (I think it was Al) or black anodized for the adjustment wheels. You can see some of the variety in the photos. He told me he is taking orders now and will begin shipping in March of this year (2018). Price will be $325.Blue_Spruce_saw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brent VanFossen View Post
    I spoke with Dave Jeske at the Portland Lie-Nielsen event this weekend. He had the new saw there, and it is as classy and beautiful as you would expect from Blue Spruce. The saw can be set to allow it to freely pivot, or can be easily locked into one of several detents. He had 8 or 10 different finishes for the saw body, both anodized and ceramic, and either natural aluminum (I think it was Al) or black anodized for the adjustment wheels. You can see some of the variety in the photos. He told me he is taking orders now and will begin shipping in March of this year (2018). Price will be $325.Blue_Spruce_saw.jpg
    Beautiful tool, love blue spruce tools, Dave is a stand up guy. All that said, is it worth more than twice as much as a Knew concepts?

Given that I find the aesthetics of my tools to be worth that kind of premium, to me, so long as it works at least as well as the Knew Concepts fret saw, it probably is to me, since the current "bird cage" model rubs me the wrong way, and I just can't accept the red for day-to-day use --- that said, if I could find one of the original flat titanium Knew Concepts saws for sale (anyone got a 3" fret?), I'd probably buy it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    ...I just can't accept the red for day-to-day use...
    This is precisely what has kept me from ordering one, an unbelievably poor choice of color for such a fine tool.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Yeah, before the Blue Spruce came along I was considering buying one, stripping off the anodization, then re-anodizing in something more muted.

I am looking forward to someday soon having pretty much every hand tool I can justify owning and doing an extensive series of cleaning up, stripping, re-making handles, Parkerizing, &c. and then making a suitable tool chest for everything.

Blog Entries
    Steven, why don't you put an after-market handle on the saw?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...11&cat=1,42884

Or whittle a new handle.

I have Atkins, and Stanleys for Coping saws......can use them for a couple minutes, then they are hung back up....