Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Mobile Bases?

Preferred Mobile Bases?

Most of my woodworking machines are on mobile bases. Some work better than others but the best is one that was made by the previous owner of my cabinet saw. It's a simple design made out of 2" square tube with hard rubber wheels, 1 swivel on one end and 2 fixed on the other. It's my largest base that spans the cabinet saw and extension table but is the easiest to move around. The design works so well that I'm planning to make and replace all of my other bases with the same design. What is your preferred mobile base?

The only mobile bases I've used are the HTC, and I find them 100% easy and stable. So I can't give you a comparison, but I can tell you that as an impatient and picky person, I find these to be perfect. In fact I keep my jointer on one even though it never moves, because it's more stable than the jointer on the floor directly.

My preferred base is the semi-live skid design.

It raises the machine a very slight amount, it can be made with large wheels to roll over objects, and it's perfectly stable when using the machine.

It's also the least expensive as all you have to do is drill 2 axle holes and put a small bracket on the other end of the machine. The capacity is almost limitless, it's often used on machines up to 2,000 pounds.

Happy Owner.jpg

regards, Rod.

You had me at the pink streamers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    You had me at the pink streamers!
    Ha, thanks!

That's my older brother in the photo with his new Hammer N4400 band saw I delivered to his house last year.

I made the mobile base and tow bar, when I was in the store buying the rubber bicycle handle grips, I saw those streamers, couldn't resist.

You can tell from the smile on his face that he appreciated the joke, his grand-children love it.........Regards, Rod.

The mobile base for the big SawStop is great. A few foot pumps of the hydraulic jack lifts her up, you can roll the saw anywhere you want, then step on the leaver and down she comes. The only downside is the cost but for machines under a thousand pounds that will fit it can't be beat. Okay you have to have a reasonably flat floor too.

JET - both regular and heavier duty models.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't weld so have needed to buy mine. I have one under my vintage uni that barely handles the weight. It works but is not ideal. Don't remember the brand. On there other hand I have two large machines. A vintage 20" Delta Bandsaw. About 700 lbs. The other is a minimax fs350 combo jointer/planer. Also about 700-750 lbs. Both are on Rockler all-terrain mobile bases. These machines are a pleasure to move around the shop. Highly recommended product.

I think the Jet mobile bases are the best. The thing I like most about them is the machine doesn't raise and lower, the wheels lock. I had the HTC and on a heavy machine it's hard to control the drop, some times it drops fairly hard, when you have it where you want it. I have all my machines on Jet bases.
    Earl

I've had good luck with the Jet, Heavy duty, mobile base. Jet # 708119. I have them under my table saws, shaper, 18" band saw, and drum sander. Weights of my machines range from 250-550lbs.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

11. Got one of these for my Powermatic 65. Its a beast and it rolls easily, for $75.
    https://www.palletforks.com/adjustab...kaAmrgEALw_wcB

Home-made. I have welded up a number of bases following examples by others. Examples that come to mind are Chuck Hess (Olivers) and actually a great post here by Joe Jensen on the rehab of an SCM F3 which illustrates perhaps the best mobile base design I've ever seen.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I hate mobile bases with 2 fixed wheels. All of my tools must be on wheels so they can be moved into 1/3 of a 3 car garage at the end of the day. It is a puzzle the way everything fits. I buy 360 degree swivel, locking casters and weld my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Most of my woodworking machines are on mobile bases. Some work better than others but the best is one that was made by the previous owner of my cabinet saw. It's a simple design made out of 2" square tube with hard rubber wheels, 1 swivel on one end and 2 fixed on the other. It's my largest base that spans the cabinet saw and extension table but is the easiest to move around. The design works so well that I'm planning to make and replace all of my other bases with the same design. What is your preferred mobile base?
    It's not my rule, so don't kill the messenger, but without a picture it doesn't really exist here on the forum. I would like to see said mobile base.
    I like mobile bases that are integrated into the bottom of the machine. I don't use them a lot but I dont like the one on my Laguna BS, where I need the stick to pull it. A better design would have been to add casters with a foot control to where you could pop them down to move and then release them back up when you wanted it stationary. Not a big fan of bases that sit too far outside the machine...which most are unless they are built in.

I had an old one in my shop I just cut down and re-welded to fit a spindle sander. It cost $0 and fits fairly snug with a low profile outside the machine so, thats probably my favorite.

Shown is a base Joe Jensen fabricated for an SCM F3 rehab a few years ago. I thought this the "cat's meow" when I saw it, and have fabricated a few similar since seeing it.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....(lots-of-pics)

_NIK3344.jpg
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius