Thread: Carbide tool tips quality

Carbide tool tips quality

Hi, I have recently bought a Chinese made carbide cutter turning tools (as I live in China). The smoothness after carving /scraping is far from the quality of Easy Wood tools videos. Is there a difference in carbide blades quality? Do they make their own blades or sell also Chinese made. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy just their blades and if they are standard size for all. The price difference here is like 10x

Best,
    Filip

I use imported Chinese carbide Ci3 round bits on my Easywood tool. They cost way less in packs of 10 and are just as good as the "official" ones.

There are many places in where you can purchase carbide cutters . I import from Germany and China. I also have some cutters made in USA. If they are nano carbide and contain less than 9% binder they are fine. My cutters are polished and have a very good edge on them. The hardness is around 93. Yes they are much less expensive than brand "X"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Campbell View Post
    There are many places in where you can purchase carbide cutters . I import from Germany and China. I also have some cutters made in USA. If they are nano carbide and contain less than 9% binder they are fine. My cutters are polished and have a very good edge on them. The hardness is around 93. Yes they are much less expensive than brand "X"
    +1 on Ron’s comment.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

So you've learned one of the painful lessons of carbides cutters...they're not all created equally. I've used a number of sources and don't believe any of the 'other' versions I purchased were as good as the Easy Wood brand. That said...I found the ones from AZ Carbide a close second and far more affordable than the EWT brand. Hope this helps...

Is the difference in the sharpening or the make up of the carbide itself. i.e. would polishing the face or the edge of a low cost carbide cutter improve the finish cut?

Guys, thank you for your replies. How about cnc carbide cutters for steel? I've found cheap Mitsubishi carbide cutters that should have high quality. There is plenty of models so I need to measure mine but would that work? Or the ones for wood have some special edge profile?

TB1lvkhNVXXXXXqaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    So you've learned one of the painful lessons of carbides cutters...they're not all created equally. I've used a number of sources and don't believe any of the 'other' versions I purchased were as good as the Easy Wood brand. That said...I found the ones from AZ Carbide a close second and far more affordable than the EWT brand. Hope this helps...

John thank you for your post . As owner of AZCabide I do think we make some of the best cutters available and at a very affordable price. We do sell to many tool manufacturing companies around the world

As a vendor, the rules limit what Ronald can post. I have no connection with AZ Carbide, nor was I aware of Ronald's affiliation. However, I am an occasional and satisfied customer and stumbled onto this helpful comparison/reference chart on their website. I thought it might be of interest to folks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip Winiewicz View Post
    Guys, thank you for your replies. How about cnc carbide cutters for steel? I've found cheap Mitsubishi carbide cutters that should have high quality. There is plenty of models so I need to measure mine but would that work? Or the ones for wood have some special edge profile?
    Hi Filip,
    Although I have not yet tried them, I understand carbide cutters designed for cutting aluminum work well for wood.
    Good luck!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    As a vendor, the rules limit what Ronald can post. I have no connection with AZ Carbide, nor was I aware of Ronald's affiliation. However, I am an occasional and satisfied customer and stumbled onto this helpful comparison/reference chart on their website. I thought it might be of interest to folks.

John thank you for sharing this. I was cautious as to what I said here as I don't want to get out of line here

As mentioned above inserts made to machine aluminum, brass, etc. should work for wood. Any insert that has a coating, such as titanium nitride (gold color), would not work well because the cutting edge is slightly rounded (0.0005 in, I think) and not polished sharp. A un-sharp edge helps tool life when machining hard metal.