Thread: Jet 1640EVS Motor Problem

Jet 1640EVS Motor Problem

Hello turners, this morning I was turning a dried Red Oak bowl turning at 1200 RPM and had a bad catch that stopped the bowl dead still in that the bowl was binned by the bowl gouge and cut a big chunk out of the bowl. As I was quickly removed the tool from the bowl and tool rest I noticed the lathe was not spinning at all. The digital rpm readout said error. I turned the lathe off quickly even though it was not spinning. I turned the power switch back on and nothing happened. Next, I unplugged the lathe for 15 minuets maybe to electronically reset the lathe. I then turned the switch back on and nothing happened again. The 1640 does not have a red reset button on the motor. I took off a small plastic cover off the inverter box and there were three very small switch which I flipped up and back down. Installed the cover and turned the lathe back on. The lathe started running at half the power. The belt is on the second pulley which is high power ( 40 to 3200 RPM ) and at max setting the motor was only producing 1250 RPM rather than 3200 RPM. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Best bet is to call Jet customer service in the morning. Is your 1640 still under warranty?

Hi Dwight, Yes my 1640 is still under warranty. I called Jet technical service and they are going to send a tech rep to my home and try to sort out the problem. Thanks, and happy turning.

I've had the error code on my Jet 1640 once when I was asking too much of the motor. After unplugging it for five minutes and plugging it back in all was fine. Please follow up and let us know what the tech finds out. Thanks.

Hi David, unplugging the 1640 is the first thing that I did and it did not fix the problem. Talked to the Jet tech rep and I think he is going to RMA the motor. The motor also makes several clicking sounds when it shuts off. I will keep you informed on what happens.

An update on my Jet 1640 motor problem. This morning talked to the tech rep and he is thinking about replacing the whole head assembly to be sure the problem is fixed. I have to say that the Jet company will stand behind their products and the tech people their are very nice and helpful. This is why I buy Jet products. There are so many parts that could malfunction, changing the whole head system may be the best thing to do. Will report back later.

Hi Lamar. What was the result?
    Last edited by Dan Bevilacqua; 09-01-2018 at 10:25 PM.