Thread: Mortise length and width

Mortise length and width

Which of these mortise and tenon joints looks stronger?IMG_1866 (2).jpg

I have a set of plans for a garden bench that shows both tenons centered on the leg, but I would need to cut the ends diagonally to get them to fit. The front rail is 3" wide, so I would think a longer tenon would be better to prevent racking.

I think you're right. The second option provides more glue surface, so yes, it would be stronger.

Mitering tenons inside a leg is not unusual, though. First option would probably work fine.

The design needs a bit of refining. The side rail is better with the face set back from the leg face the same amount as the front rail. This moves the side rail tenon away from the centre of the leg and gives you more room to fit mortises in the legs. Also the side rail tenon can be thinner (the stock is thinner) than the front rail tenon which also gives you more room. Other than that, either option as drawn is equally OK. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I agree with Wayne plus the actual strength of any mortice and tenon is such that unless you plan on having a family of real elephants sitting on your bench, it's all moot.

Blog Entries
    Center the mortises in the leg stock. Putting one really long tenon toward the outside of the joint will give it a place to crack with ease.

I would chose the first setup (left side).
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.