Thread: Sources for Unhandled Lathe Tools Needed

Sources for Unhandled Lathe Tools Needed

A few years ago I purchased a Sorby Sovereign tool. It was not one of their sets. Heck, I did not even know they sold sets! Anyhow, it came with the scraper attachments, round, diamond, like that. All carbide scrapers. Lately I have been doing more turning and doing some research. There I was, watching a Mike Waldt video and he starts talking about the different tools that can be put in the handle. Huh? What? Holy Smokes!

Been digging around the internet and about the only tools I can come up with unhandled are the 3/8 and 1/2 inch bowl gouges. I ordered a 1/2 inch fingernail grind Sorby bowl gouge. But I would like to add a substantial rounded (swept) skew to use as a scraper (then I do not need left and right hand ones). Not interested in a parting tool because that seems like more messing around, a simple one does the job for me. A straight skew would be nice too.

I am not a strict Sorby guy. Any reputable brand will work for me. The handle I have will accomodate 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 shafts. Seems like a pretty big honking handle to be using a 1/4 tool so that is not important either.

Mostly what I am doing is segmented turning but hey, that could change at any time!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Ted

Packard has a lot of selections on unhanded tools, chances are they have what you are looking for. They have a web site packardwoodworks.

Thanks George! After putting in that request, I figured out what I had to tell Google to get it to find stuff. Right now I am looking at Lee Valley's stuff. I tell ya, Google knows everything, but it can be a bit tricky sometimes to know what to ask for. . . . sheesh.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Been digging around the internet and about the only tools I can come up with unhandled are the 3/8 and 1/2 inch bowl gouges. ... The handle I have will accomodate 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 shafts. Seems like a pretty big honking handle to be using a 1/4 tool so that is not important either.

Mostly what I am doing is segmented turning but hey, that could change at any time!

Ted, my two favorite tool makers both sell their tools with no handles, Doug Thompson and Mike Hunter:

http://thompsonlathetools.com/

http://huntertoolsystems.com/

Thompson uses 10V powdered steel which holds an edge longer than normal HSS. The Hunter tools use a very sharp carbide cutter, no sharpening needed, far sharper and far cleaner cuts than the flat topped carbide cutters.

I turn mostly dry wood, some bowls, platters, lots of spindles, boxes, etc. I use the 3/8" Thompson spindle gouges a lot as well as his skew chisels, scrapers, parting tool. Much of my face turning in dry wood is with the Hunter carbide, very sharp and made to use just as you would a gouge for very fine cuts. Can be used as scrapers too. My favorite Hunter tool for general use is the small Hercules, square shaft but machined round on the end. I think it fits into a 3/8" handle. The Osprey tools are good too, similar to the Hercules but made with a round shaft.

I make my own handles and I hate a big handle on a small tool. I make metal inserts and glue them into wood handles. For 1/4" tools I make small diameter inserts from steel - I think these are easier to hold and control for smaller and detailed work:

handle_adapter_extension.jpg handle_adapters.jpg

Thompson also sells round rods in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" that you can grind into special tools and use in your handles.

Some of the very small Hunter tools and some of the larger:

textured_handles_hunterIMG_.jpg HUNTER4_side_IMG_20160803_1.jpg HUNTER4_top_IMG_20160803_10.jpg

JKJ

To the two makers noted by JKJ, I would add D-Way tools. I have several of all three and other than a few odd tools, they are exclusively what I use.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I wholeheartedly agree with John & John above.

Yup, Thompson and D Way...

robo hippy

I have the Kelton handle and a few of the tools to go in it from Lee Valley and have been very happy with it...