Thread: Irwin Auger bits

Blog Entries

Irwin Auger bits

irwin bits2.jpg
    My set is intact, though they were under water during Harvey. The wooden case is back together and the rust removed.
    I had to clean them with a bench grinder wire wheel.

These are not my set, the image came from online. My set is identical to the photograph. They are a 1960's vintage and were my father's set.
    They are Irwins with all sizes from 1/8" through 1". The bits are sharp and I have two braces for them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-19-2018 at 3:37 PM.

Nice, all the more special that they were your father's. At an estate auction, I picked up that same set at a good price. Nobody seemed to want them.

Sorry about the damage during the hurricane; glad they're back together and clean.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear things are coming back together after such a disaster.

They are Irwins with all sizes from 1/8" through 1".
    My guess is you actually mean 1/4" through 1" since that is a 13 bit set. In my travels only one #3 (3/16") has been seen. It came home with me. In reading many old tool catalogs my recollection is not ever seeing a #2 (1/8"). My recollection could be wrong.

Most of the smaller sizes are available in twist drills with a tang for a brace.

Estate sales, junk stores and all the other usual suspects are great places to find good auger bits cheap.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Jim, you are correct. It is 1/4"

Lowell,

Glad they came through OK. Hope yours look as good as the ones in the photo.

Stew

Blog Entries
    They are close to the picture. The wooden case is rough. I may make a new case.