Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling Red Oak Flooring?

Recycling Red Oak Flooring?

Strange question... We are getting ready to replace the original 25-year-old red oak hardwood flooring in our house. It is 3" wide, 3/4" thick solid hardwood with poly finish - standard stuff. When the contractor comes to replace it, they say that they just throw it out and send it to a landfill. I haven't ever really thought about where old flooring goes... I know that it would be a lot of work to clean up and mill the old stuff down - removing all the nails, etc. Monumental PITA.

Does anyone know if recycling old residential wood flooring is done anywhere? I could see going through the effort if it was century-old chestnut or something - but regular Bruce red oak... not so much...Just curious...

TedP

Sounds like a candidate for a work bench? You're right, though, lotsa milling, and I'd want to be using a metal detector.

If it were me, it would go in my wood stove. There would be a lot of work in recycling it. You can get red oak for less than $2 / bdft. I'll bet you couldn't even sell it on Craig's List.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    If it were me, it would go in my wood stove. There would be a lot of work in recycling it. You can get red oak for less than $2 / bdft. I'll bet you couldn't even sell it on Craig's List.

What he said.

Check with Community Forklift. They can at least give you a tax deduction for it. They're just out of the North side of DC. The cleats should break off fairly easily, and the remaining head won't matter for re-laying.

Good idea, Tom. I didn't even think about Community Forklift. I went to a Lie Nielsen event there a couple of years ago - fantastic place, with lots of cool stuff to dig through. While there, I actually picked up an old piece of marble for my shop - it is flat enough to use as a surface plate for sharpening.

I'll see if they are interested in a few hundred square feet of red oak flooring.

It's hard for me to leave there without a truckload (or even trailer load) of something.

I’m a wood flooring contractor. This is something I deal with often. A lot of time what I do now is sand it down on site (crudely). Then tear it out and give it away to comping buddies. I have so much of it stored away I will never even use it

Once I tore down an older house in a small town to build a restaurant. Word got out that the house was going to be torn down and a couple of dozen people showed up and asked if they could salvage stuff before we knocked it down. I told them to have at it. Somebody took out the carpet in the upstairs and there was hardwood flooring under it. Somebody else took out the hardwood flooring! By the time everybody got what they wanted I bet half the volume of the house was gone. Of course someone took the kitchen sink.

While you can certainly re-use it, you'll generally end up with approximately 1/2" thick material. Remember, the back of the flooring strips are usually eased with a round-nose cutter and once you mill that off, you get what you get. If it's every been sanded and refinished, you may get even thinner material. You have to weigh that plus the amount of effort to insure there is no metal in it before working with it. But it can be nice project wood for smaller projects if you want to do the work to reclaim it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't consider using it for anything but flooring. If you knock it out lengthwise, the cleat will fold up sideways, and it doesn't damage the tongue and groove at all. It leaves one less fold,back and forth, of the cleat to break it off too.

Pulled up with prybars perpendicular to the tongue and groove, and it will be split up enough to be trash anyway. To do it lengthwise, you have to have enough room for a sledge hammer on one end, and a few inches cut away on the other end, so the flooring has somewhere to go.

When the neighbors house burned we pulled the beech? flooring and the plywood kitchen cabinets. The flooring was crudely nailed on the basement walls the cabinets for storage. The flooring actually looked okay but crude. Better then old tarpaper and studs.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Try a few boards and make up your mind. I think after a few boards, you will know if it's worth it.

I bet it not worth it. Im thinking after you strip the finish off you would have wood filled with sandy dirt red oak is very porous. I wouldn't put it through my machines I'm not a Red oak hater i have 3inch wide oak floors in my house.
    Some woods just don't get a second life
    Aj

If you ever took up T&G flooring or watched someone do it, you would notice that nails are not a problem. They are always on the tongue side and they are always very obvious. I use a metal detector for salvage wood but I wouldn't bother in this case. By the time you plane off the varnish, flatten the back side and rip off the tongue and the groove, there isn't much left. Someone suggested a glued up workbench top with the planks stood on edge. I would agree that is a good use for someone who wants to fool with it.