Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally found a Moulder

Finally found a Moulder

After I sold my Foley Belsaw planer/moulder nearly two years ago I have missed having a moulder. A couple of recent opportunities convinced me to look for another. Last week I found this W&H and I brought it home yesterday.

Besides the elliptical jig, it came with 30 sets of mostly custom knives, including some really large crown molding ones.

I had to drive 3 hours each way to get it, but for $1200 it seemed like a good deal. If anyone needs a bunch of big crown molding let me know because I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. The machine looks to be in great shape. Just needs a new cord and plug and it'll be ready to go.

John

havent used one of those but did buy a Woodmaster that was damaged for around a grand. Then had a corrugated head made and big shaft and changed bearings. Its a bit mickey mouse then at the same time for some stuff it outperforms a shaper. Wood sits flat, rubber rollers grab well, corrugated fits it and the shapers thats sensible. Gear drive motor dial in any speed you want better than a feeder where it doesnt give you as much variation. Old guy laughed at it but coming from a shop running 12 stickers full time he had never seen anything so small. I ran a piece of birdseye and he stopped laughing. Id always want one of these its simple and easy, like a better one like the Microns.

Great deal John. I'd be happy to take any of the blades you don't want. I'll even pay you for the postage.

Good purchase John. Like that it came with the elliptical guide.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Great deal John. I'd be happy to take any of the blades you don't want. I'll even pay you for the postage.
    Thanks Peter. I'll get back to you on your offer......

John

Yeah. That's a sweet deal and a killer price. I think we paid around that for one with less and smaller knives and many more miles on it. Super score.

You don't want to know what I paid for my five head

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Yeah. That's a sweet deal and a killer price. I think we paid around that for one with less and smaller knives and many more miles on it. Super score.
    The guy who owned the machine made custom kitchens and interior trim work, so I doubt it got many hours on it. I need to develop some new clientele to make use for a lot of those knives, but it was still a good deal even if that never happens. I got a new length of SO cord and plug wired to it today. It seems to run fine; just need to put some knives in and run a few feet to confirm.

John

You did get a good deal. I bought mine in 1990 without a stand, motor and it cost more than what you paid. Getting that plus the elliptical jig and the knives makes it all that much sweater. Lets make that sweeter.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 02-20-2018 at 9:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

My neighbor has one of those and it's a great machine. Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a great deal on that W&H, especially all the knives you got. I ran a W&H in my shop for 10 years before the economy tanked in 2007 and all the builders closed up. It was a great money maker as an additional valued service to my sawmill. I sold a ton of crown, base and trim, as well as wainscoting cap, cove and round to the local builders and finish carpenters, in different species of wood.

Make sure you use the correct oil for it. If I were you, I'd change it before using it. I've seen a few of those that weren't maintained very well. The feed rollers on them can get chewed up, but are available, and aren't hard to change. I've still got a jug of their oil for it, but I'm planning on reacquiring a used one, so I'm keeping it. If you need a part number, let me know......

Edit: You can get extra mileage out of the knives between actual sharpenings by lapping the backs to a high grit, much like flattening a plane iron or chisel. It renews the edge a bit, and cleans off any sap and burn marks left by some species of wood.
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 02-20-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks for the advise Jeff. I downloaded what I think is the correct manual for it. It says to use 80-90 weight gear oil in the drive roller tranny, IIRC, but nothing more specific. If you know otherwise, please let me know. The manual also mentioned lapping the back of the knives as a way of extending the time between sharpenings and improving cut quality.

Did you advertise or did people just know they could come to you for molding?

John

I checked while I was in the shop just now, planning on reporting back. It's 90 weight gear oil, so that'll do.

When I added the molder, I was already a well established furniture and cabinetmaker around here. I had a lot of builders already coming to me for hardwood lumber, as I used to sell a lot of lumber from my sawmill (now I'm a hoarder.... ), and I just mentioned to them all about the molder. It took off very quickly for me. I made up a bunch of samples and dropped them off at the local builders businesses. At the time, my area was experiencing ridiculous growth, and custom spec homes were going up all over the place. You get the drill. Easy sell. I was running moldings almost every night, well into the late hours.
    Jeff

I've still got the quart I bought it with. It is a sticky oil, like chainsaw bar oil. I'll have to remember to compare the two and see if they are the same or perhaps it is a gear oil blended with chainsaw oil type thickeners.

Blog Entries
    Its specific oil: 600XP 460.

It's $10 from Williams and hussey, so not that expensive.

I have one w&h that the po neglected to keep oil in the gear box.. it destroyed the brass worm gear.