Thread: Preserving a PEAR log

Preserving a PEAR log

Don't even know where to begin or if what I am asking is remotely possible and so I ask:

Is there a way to preserve an 8' long by 10" dia. pear tree log? I am likely going to saw a flat on it but otherwise
    would like to keep the log whole set on one or 2 stone pedestals to be used as a memorial bench along a river.

Besides debarking the entire log does anyone think I can get a useful bench for 10 or 20 years by some treatment?
    Varnish and wax? Creosote? Some other chemical formula?

I don't mind that it might twist or check (though checking would let in moisture) but mostly looking to keep it
    from rotting and being insect ridden. Will sit in snow and rain in a woodsy - not too sunny location.

Preferably the preservation method would not require 6 months or 3 years. Log has been stored vertically off the ground,
    since being cut about 2 years ago. Looks well intact.

Thank you for any suggestions, encouragement or wake up call .

Cheers, Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Does this cross into STUPID QUESTION territory?

I prefer, wishful thinking.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would save it for something else use PT for that bench application, what it would take to treat the pear bench would change the color ,which is what you are not looking to do. I think that just a clear finish would not be durable enough for what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I would save it for something else use PT for that bench application, what it would take to treat the pear bench would change the color ,which is what you are not looking to do. I think that just a clear finish would not be durable enough for what you are doing.

I really don't care about the color. It is the sentimental value of using the particular piece of tree that is the motivator. If I can preserve it and use it that is my preference, even if the surface of the seating area looks as if it has been pine tarred or copper treated. Question is - what will preserve the log for years of use as a bench.

If I can't use the log, the bench will likely be made all out of stone - BUT - I am seriously hoping that there is a solution to using the log.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-21-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    WQJudge

Copper naphthalate then exterior varnish. Varnish would need some upkeep or replacement but the bench would remain
    with no rot. I would use the paintable non oil based type.

well then copper treatment and paint is the way to go

Sam

I have some Chanticlear ornamental pear trees in the yard. They are grafted trees and through the years the limbs occasionally break off at the trunk and I end up with 12' 15' long limbs, that start out 6"-8" in diameter.
    The ones that I dragged into the woods take a few years to even begin to rot. I know that I have some on top of a brush pile that have been there close to 10 years. They're still solid and heavy.
    None of the limbs seemed to have been infested by insects. The nuthatches like to bore circular, spiraling holes in the bark to hide seeds, but that's been about it.
    I have two that I use to hold the tarp down on my cordwood pile that have been there for at least a decade, or more.

Point is, I have done nothing to preserve these at all, and they've been very slow to rot on their own. I think anything you do to preserve them will work. You could always just epoxy coat them. Pear wood is very pretty and it would be a shame to paint it with a solid color.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks all for the ideas and encouragement. Mike, your post is especially encouraging. Worth pursuing this idea, I'm convinced.
    WQJudge

Agree with you and Mike, do nothing and it should be ok for a decade. Since it will be up off the ground it will not rot fast. Maybe block it up off the stone with a piece of something to keep it isolated from the stone or masonry.