Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relatively New to Woodworking!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Foley View Post
    I usually toss the blade that comes with the saw or just use it for cuts I don't really care about. I'm a little apprehensive about the cost of a Forrest blade, though I've heard amazing things about them. It's odd. I can justify the cost of a $900 saw, but not a $170 blade. Yet.
    Forrest blades sell for far less than $170, even purchased direct! Even the 12" version I use is less than that. Check out Silvers Mill for excellent prices on Forrest blades. The 10" goes for about $120 right now for the WW-II 40T on promotional pricing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Incra makes great stuff and their customer service is among the best. I have both the 1000HD and the V27. Both are built great and easily adjustable to your miter slot. The thing you need to ask yourself is what degree of resolution you need for setting angles. Do you need to cut at exactly 42.5 degrees (or any other random angle)? Or is your need to just cut at standsrd angles like 90 and 45 degrees?

Right now, I'm just doing the standard 45 & 90 degree cuts. But let's be honest, it's shiny and cool looking!

Jim, I'll check the site out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Foley View Post
    Right now, I'm just doing the standard 45 & 90 degree cuts. But let's be honest, it's shiny and cool looking!

Jim, I'll check the site out. Thanks for the recommendation!
    No worries, Justin. You'll note I said I owned both of them. I'll never try to talk anybody out of spending more money, lest I appear the hypocrite.

I leave the 1000HD adjusted for the table saw. The V27 sees duty on the bandsaw and occasionally the belt sander. You'll eventually want more than one, IMO.

I use Freud blades almost exclusively. I haven't ever wanted for "better" to justify the Forest blades. I would also suggest, if you are running that saw at 120 VAC, to get a thin kerf blade. It'll greatly reduce the load on your saw. The only drawback is that your fence is calibrated to the blade thickness. If you decide to put a dado on later, it'll likely be standard kerf and will throw off your fence calibration, but then dado sets do that for most settings anyway.

And you will want a dado set eventually. I love the results from them: fast, accurate, and safe. Much better than a router.

On the miter, I just use the OEM miters at the band saw and other machines and keep the 1000HD for the table saw unless I need a really accurate cut on the band saw, which is almost never. If you ever want to do multi-sided objects that will tend to have fractional degrees, the 1000HD readily supports that. If you only have one Incra, I suggest the 1000HD. At least that is the reasoning I used for the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    ...I'll never try to talk anybody out of spending more money, lest I appear the hypocrite.
    A great quote!

JKJ