Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    We have a big 60 gallon, 5hp, 220V air compressor. And when we're cutting that thing cycles about 30-40% of the time. Can't imagine that use is negligible, but I will do the math on it and try to keep track of how much it's running.
    You shouldn't be using that much air just for air-assist- I have a HD Husky compressor, same basic specs as yours, it runs about 70% when pressure-pot sandblasting @ 100psi-- If you're using the cone nozzle to deliver the air, you might consider buying or fabbing up an 'exterior' mounted air nozzle, using 1/16" ID copper tubing, you can get a much stronger stream of air using much less air in the first place....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Why on earth use a large air compressor? My cheap Chinese aquarium pump puts out plenty of air and it is about a hundred watts... Now with my 38mm nozzle it has a little needle valve. It needs all the flow it can get to get enough air.. I'll be buying a HF airbrush compressor when this one dies.... Heck I'd hate to use my 1 HP compressor
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

John

If you're a hobbyist the HF/aquarium pumps might be ok but if you're running customers' goods then you're taking a risk with that kind of air supply. Both, no doubt, have automatic shut-offs. That can ruin a job in a hurry.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Whatever.... My air assist is off when engraving. I haven't found anything yet that has been ruined if it is off. Ill not argue the fact on a clear acrylic it wouldn't be good to be cutting and it fail, but any compressor can fail. Would you really notice quick enough is you lost air due to a leak?

I'll still argue a five horsepower compressor is overkill for air assist unless you are running multiple lasers simultaneously. It doesn't take that much air....But it ain't my money...
    Last edited by John Lifer; 03-06-2018 at 8:16 PM.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Most of us with large compressors have them for many reasons that have nothing to do with laser air assist

-and as long as a big compressor is already in service, there's no reason not to connect it to a laser...

And FWIW, when I find my compressor is cycling more than I think it should, it's because one of my fittings is leaking...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Whatever.... My air assist is off when engraving. I haven't found anything yet that has been ruined if it is off. Ill not argue the fact on a clear acrylic it wouldn't be good to be cutting and it fail, but any compressor can fail. Would you really notice quick enough is you lost air due to a leak?

I'll still argue a five horsepower compressor is overkill for air assist unless you are running multiple lasers simultaneously. It doesn't take that much air....But it ain't my money...
    Agreed. You can also hear the air or aquarium pump running so you know it working. My big compressor would only cycle maybe 3 or 4 times an hour when I was using on my ULS.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I will say though, there's no reason to really turn this into a debate about the size of the air compressor I own. We use it for spraying and a few air tools also. And, going from the trash air pump that came with my laser to a true, regulated 20-35 psi of flow made an AMAZING difference; especially when cutting 1/4". No more charred edges, a cleaner cut, etc. So, no regrets there.

Anyways, thanks for the input on everything.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8