Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting the inside of house. What paint.

Painting the inside of house. What paint.

Like everything, There comes a point where you are just spending a lot more money for little benefit.

Need to start repainting the interior walls of the house. What brand and type of wall paint do you find the best for the money? Do I really need to spend $50 a gallon?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have painted and repainted my houses and several Habitat for Humanity homes. My favorite paint is the Home Depot store brand Behr Premium. It covers better and holds up to washing better than any of the name brands I have used. It is easy to roll or brush and goes on silky smooth. If you can trust Consumer Reports magazine, they rate Behr tops.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 02-18-2018 at 9:07 PM.

I generally use SW Emerald or BM Aura for walls. Yes, it's not inexpensive. But it's very durable and very washable, even for the "flat" and "matte" finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a Sherwin Williams fan. I've been using them for years and have never been disappointed. When it comes to house paint I am not a price shopper.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have painted and repainted my houses and several Habitat for Humanity homes. My favorite paint is the Home Depot store brand Behr Premium. It covers better and holds up to washing better than any of the name brands I have used. It is easy to roll or brush and goes on silky smooth. If you can trust Consumer Reports magazine, they rate Behr tops.
    I Find I can get good coverage with 2 coats of their Behr Premium. I found I could get it done with one coat of their Marquee Stuff if I put it on thick. Marquee isn't really flat so I went back to the cheaper stuff. I get 20% off cuz a painter I know let's me use his phone#.

If you really want to save, try their "oops" paint. mismatched colors are $25 for 5 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I generally use SW Emerald or BM Aura for walls. Yes, it's not inexpensive. But it's very durable and very washable, even for the "flat" and "matte" finishes.
    Ben Moore Aura all the way. Extremely low VOCs and almost no odor.

Thanks for the help.

Most likley the paint will come from Home Depot or Lowe's just because of convenience. Close to home if I need more paint.

I'm not looking for cheap where you have to put on 3 coats to cover.
    I use to do some buying for a retail garden center. I know from that experience that something as simple as a rubber grip on a $4.99 rake can add 3x to the price. or the same lawn product in a fancy bag retails for much more.
    Going to guess paint is the same way.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-19-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I like Sherwin Williams paint if it is on sale. There are Sherwin Williams stores every where. I like their paint accessories as they are usually quality like brushes, paint tools, etc. The paint tools from Home depot and Lowes seem china made and of low quality so I buy all my paint stuff from Sherwin Williams. I hate when you buy putty knives and they rust the after the first use. Never had that problem with
    Sherwin William stuff.

I like Home Depot Behr outside paint real well. It covers well. I have used some inside and it seems fine to me.

I painted some inside Valspar paint from Lowes which seemed good.

I painted some in my shop with rejected paint at Walmart and it was not great but it was $10 a gal.

I still use Sherwin Williams oil paint for trim with camel hair brushes because I hate brush strokes. The oil paint seems to lay down better. You can add Pentrol to the paint which helps to hide brush strokes in my mind.

I have recently used some SW Emerald for trim in my kitchen remodel because I had to have it custom tinted to match and it worked pretty well. But oil is still my stand by for trim.

I like to roll wall paint unless it is a really large area then I spray with a Titan sprayer. The Titan sprayer sucks down about quart of paint to start and wastes a lot when clean up comes.

The Sherwin Williams ceiling paint is cheaper than wall paint so use ceiling paint for the ceiling.

I always use a good primer before painting on new wood or walls. If you are putting latex over oil then I use a primer first otherwise it will peel on you. Walmart sells Zinsser Primer paint at good price which is a good primer. I have used Kills original (oil based) to hide knots in pine so they do not bleed out in years to come. I don't think Kills 2 is very good buy Zinsser.

Most any paint takes 2 coats to look really good. The only paint I have used with primer which worked well is the Home Depot outside Behr high end paint which is expensive. I got by with one coat on the outside of my already painted house.

There is a lot of paint options here. I would go by price, lower being good. If you do something you don't like you can always paint over it.

Last edited by lee cox; 02-20-2018 at 1:00 AM.

when I did drug stores they spec out Glidden Ultra

Blog Entries
    I helped my buddy paint four rooms in new construction over the weekend. Sprayed 17 gallons and rolled four. All from Lowe's as he could use the military 10% discount. 8 gallons of primer, 4 gallons of ceiling paint and 9 gallons of final. Ceiling paint was cheap Valspar, wasn't happy with the coverage. Don't remember what the primer was, but the final was SW 200 series if IIRC. Three rooms were one color, first coat of final was sprayed and took 5 gallons, second coat was rolled and took just over 2 gallons. Really surprised at the difference in how much you can put on with a sprayer vs rolling. Only the second time I used my Graco X5. Had 9' ceilings so I used the 24" tip extension. Builder was impressed with the result. He wanted $3200 to paint. Never could have finished the job in 2 days without spraying. Buddy's dad will paint trim next weekend.

Lee, you don't waste paint on clean out if you push the paint through the hoses with water and spill it back into the paint container. Check out the Idaho Painter for tips on airless spraying, including cleanup. https://theidahopainter.com/my-youtube-channel/

I stick with Behr premium on my own projects, except trim is SW Pro Classic self leveling. SW brushes. Interesting that my local Lowes has a common parking lot with a SW store. Makes it handy shopping for paint/supplies.

I clean and reuse a quality roller cover. Scrape off excess paint with a multi-tool and then spin out excess water with one of these:
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-20-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I'm no paint expert but what I think I know is that you get what you pay for. The better paints have more pigment, better binders , etc.; and therefore will likely cost more too. I think painting is about the most economical way to "makeover" an area so I don't skimp on paint. I suspect you can get quality paint at the box stores, but I'd stay away from the cheap stuff.

One of the high end Behr paints at Home Depot was very highly rated by Consumer Reports back in 2014 when I painted the interior of my house. I was a bit surprised as many don't like Behr, but it went on pretty well.

That's interesting about Consumer Reports. Haven't read one in years,but I do remember they would come up with "off topic" reasons for ratings. Like the time they gave a radio a great review because ....if it fell in your bath tub ...it would not kill you !!

In Consumer Reports interior paint tests done in 2017, Behr paints occupied 3 of the top 4 positions and the other was Valspar. Benjamin Moore was ranked 5th. Sherwin-Williams was way down the list. I know that goes against the "you get what you pay for" attitude, but I happen to believe that store brands are often a better value and sometimes a better quality. By the way, the top rated Behr Marquee isn't exactly cheap at $43 a gallon but it can occasionally be bought for considerably less on sale.

On houses we rent out, will only use Sherwin Williams 400 contractor semi-gloss paint... it washes and covers very well..
    Tried Lowes high quality one coat covers paint about 5-7 years ago... it did NOT cover in one coat... the only thing Lowes did was offer more paint... NO thanks.. went back to SW 400.. they would not even take back the unused & unopened paint....

As info, it was antique white trying to cover up antique white and was no good...

Be sure to use Kilz on any crayon or permanent marker spots on walls first...

Set up an account at Sherwin Williams and have them mail you the bill, saves about $5-10 per gallon...