Thread: Maple Burl Bowl

Maple Burl Bowl

I got this piece of Maple Burl and turned it recently... I was happy with the bark inclusion in it and how it turned out overall.....it's about 10" X 4"...thanks for looking..

Maple Burl.jpg

Nice piece of material and well done !
    What finish Barry ?
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Thanks James....finished with about 6 coats of gloss WOP....

A great looking bowl, well turned and finished .
    C&C WELCOME

Like your curve up to the rim, nice little detail. Finish looks outstanding.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Super nice piece of wood and workmanship ! I also like the bark inclusion. Does the inclusion go all the way through the wall of the bowl ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I got this piece of Maple Burl and turned it recently... I was happy with the bark inclusion in it and how it turned out overall.....it's about 10" X 4"...thanks for looking..

Maple Burl.jpg
    Nice! Great finish and shape.

Did you have to deal with the possibility of it coming apart when turning the inside? I had a small chunk of cedar come off a platter where weakened by a bark inclusion. A friend of mine used to turn the outside of "interesting" wood then wrap with strapping tape to make sure it didn't come apart when turning the inside. It looks like yours is largely solid on the bottom and perhaps even at the rim.

I'll be glad to take the second chunk of that off your hands, you know, the mate to it that you put on the shelf and probably won't ever use.

JKJ

Nice work. I would have worried about that bark inclusion almost all the way to the rim, but it looks like you pulled it off. Beautiful wood and finish and I also like the curve.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks everyone for the comments....

Robert...yes the inclusion goes all the way through...you can see through it in places...probably should have included a bottom pic..
    CAM00621.jpg

John...the wood seemed pretty stable and I put quite a bit of CA glue into the inclusion before turning so I wasn't too worried about it coming apart...I wish I had more of this wood myself!!!!