Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brian's guide to the galaxy (Japanese chisels)

They are called coticule - I think the spelling is correct - and its a very good stone but you must make one major distinction when going on and on about them and that distinction - David Weaver (whoever he is) would have to agree - is between the old solid chunks and the new laminated. The coticule is made up of a double stone layer. The cream color is the cutting stone, the blue/purple layer supports this. Well, presently due to the great depletion of the strains the double stone as a single unit are rare, to compensate the cream and the blue are mined separately, machined and then glued together. Of course this diverts from the topic at hand so I keep in short and simple this way.
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 02-24-2018 at 7:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Brian, good info on this subject.
    Do you have any experience with Belgische Brochen or Belgian chuncks which are more common in europe ?
    We have one at work and its a fantastic stone, they certainly dont have their reputation for nothing, cuts faster then a stone that fine has any right to and leaves a Mirror Finish. Though it being a Natural stone none are really alike so experiences probably differ, the one we have is an unlaminated solid Yellow/Cream one. Those are almost impossible to get nowadays and if they are seriously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    They are called coticule - I think the spelling is correct - and its a very good stone but you must make one major distinction when going on and on about them and that distinction - David Weaver (whoever he is) would have to agree - is between the old solid chunks and the new laminated. The coticule is made up of a double stone layer. The cream color is the cutting stone, the blue/purple layer supports this. Well, presently due to the great depletion of the strains the double stone as a single unit are rare, to compensate the cream and the blue are mined separately, machined and then glued together. Of course this diverts from the topic at hand so I keep in short and simple this way.
    Yes a real shame that they are depleted, the yellow is a great stone. However there are still sizeable Chunks of the Blue one at agreeable prices, they are said to be similar if a bit less agressive and harder stones. I cant really comment though since i've never used one though from all i heard they are supposedly pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Jaindl View Post
    We have one at work and its a fantastic stone, they certainly dont have their reputation for nothing, cuts faster then a stone that fine has any right to and leaves a Mirror Finish. Though it being a Natural stone none are really alike so experiences probably differ, the one we have is an unlaminated solid Yellow/Cream one. Those are almost impossible to get nowadays and if they are seriously expensive.

Yes a real shame that they are depleted, the yellow is a great stone. However there are still sizeable Chunks of the Blue one at agreeable prices, they are said to be similar if a bit less agressive and harder stones. I cant really comment though since i've never used one though from all i heard they are supposedly pretty nice.
    To bad this is completely off the topic because it's a fun topic itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    To bad this is completely off the topic because it's a fun topic itself.
    Hmm, I vaguely remember there being something you can do about that... it'll come to me... oh yeah, start a thread.