Thread: Mini Split Install Video

Mini Split Install Video

Figured I'd go ahead and post the video of my mini split install. Hope you find it informative!

Did you purge the line set at all or just vacuum? I did not purge my two installs and was just wondering. The instructions do not mention purging but I know these units are more sensitive then the big older units. I left them under full vac overnight and got no leaks so I was good to go. But I never did a pressure test.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Did you purge the line set at all or just vacuum? I did not purge my two installs and was just wondering. The instructions do not mention purging but I know these units are more sensitive then the big older units. I left them under full vac overnight and got no leaks so I was good to go. But I never did a pressure test.
    Bill D
    All of that was left to the hvac tech I hired to do the connections, pressure testing, etc. and I am not exactly sure what he did.

Good video, Tim. Much appreciated. While I'm likely to have my regular HVAC folks do the system install at this point for a variety of reasons I'll not go into, your video validated all the prep work I've done in support of that and it's already lowered the cost significantly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Good video, Tim. Much appreciated. While I'm likely to have my regular HVAC folks do the system install at this point for a variety of reasons I'll not go into, your video validated all the prep work I've done in support of that and it's already lowered the cost significantly.
    Thanks, Jim. I can understand having a pro do it all the way if you've got the budget for it. I still have a lot of tools I want to purchase and projects I want to make so I didn't have room in the budget for a full install. And, I mentioned this in the video, while it was an easy install, it wasn't straight forward. I spent way more time researching the steps to make sure I was doing them correctly than I did actually doing the work. I'd work for 15-30 minutes and then spend an hour or two confirming the next step. Rinse and repeat.

Overall though, really happy with how everything turned out. I am going to be even happier when it starts hitting 90+ this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    Overall though, really happy with how everything turned out. I am going to be even happier when it starts hitting 90+ this summer.
    Yea, the most time we spend in our shops, the more we can appreciate having a comfortable environment to work in. In my area, summers feature high humidity, not unlike many places in the south some days. I have no intention of cooling things down to refrigerator level. We don't even do that in the house...the summer setting is 76ºF typically. And I don't need it super warm in the winter. I've found that with a very light hat, I can work comfortably at 60-62ºF because I'm moving around a lot. The difference will be lower costs, both from the efficiency of the heat pump for my particular area and because I will not have to cut the temps at night so much and wait for a warm-up in the morning. The 18K BTU unit is about the right size for my shop (similar in area to yours) which I cannot say is true for the resistance heating unit I have currently. The ceiling insulation I'm about to install is also going to make a huge difference!
    --

Great video. I have a few questions if you don’t mind. I’m getting ready to do the same install with most likely the same unit. I would love a nicer unit, but I would also love to have a sub panel and a bandsaw, so diy install it is. What sources did you find helpful in your research? Also, since you are in a garage, what steps did you take, if any, to insulate around your garage door? My garage is insulated, but my doors don’t have the best seal. Just wondering if you have addressed your garage door at all. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Great video. I have a few questions if you don’t mind. I’m getting ready to do the same install with most likely the same unit. I would love a nicer unit, but I would also love to have a sub panel and a bandsaw, so diy install it is. What sources did you find helpful in your research? Also, since you are in a garage, what steps did you take, if any, to insulate around your garage door? My garage is insulated, but my doors don’t have the best seal. Just wondering if you have addressed your garage door at all. Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment.

I posted a lot of questions in the electrical and hvac rooms on DIYChatroom.com and DoItYourself.com. Lots of posters over there so you get some pretty quick responses.

My doors are pretty new. I think less than three years old (I've been in this house less than two years and the previous owner replaced the doors and she was only here a year). They are insulated doors and have a great seal around the edge. It's one part of my shop that is sealed up pretty tight!

Hi Tim, Nice video production there!

I also did some of the work on my mini-split (what I call the dumb work ) and had my HVAC buddy to the connections, start up, etc. ( the smart work). I formed and poured a concrete slab for the outdoor unit, ran the lineset and control wires, installed the indoor unit, and ran the drainage tubing. In my jurisdiction we have to have a disconnect by the indoor unit as well as the disconnect everyone is used to seeing by the outdoor unit. My electrician had just installed the subpanel in the shop so it was quick and easy for him to run power to the outdoor unit (through the wall and about two feet way).

All in all, I'm thrilled with the performance and had one unexpected bonus I just learned by reading the manual (imagine that ? LOL ). The unit I have has a dehumidify mode which has been great on a few days when the weather was doing weird things and the humidity was high but temps were so low that AC wasn't an option to pull the moisture our of the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zschoche View Post
    Hi Tim, Nice video production there!

I also did some of the work on my mini-split (what I call the dumb work ) and had my HVAC buddy to the connections, start up, etc. ( the smart work). I formed and poured a concrete slab for the outdoor unit, ran the lineset and control wires, installed the indoor unit, and ran the drainage tubing. In my jurisdiction we have to have a disconnect by the indoor unit as well as the disconnect everyone is used to seeing by the outdoor unit. My electrician had just installed the subpanel in the shop so it was quick and easy for him to run power to the outdoor unit (through the wall and about two feet way).

All in all, I'm thrilled with the performance and had one unexpected bonus I just learned by reading the manual (imagine that ? LOL ). The unit I have has a dehumidify mode which has been great on a few days when the weather was doing weird things and the humidity was high but temps were so low that AC wasn't an option to pull the moisture our of the air.
    Thanks! Mine has a dehumidify mode as well. It was a feature I made sure was included on the unit I purchased.

The dehumidify mode on mini splits doesn't do much. It just slows the fan speed down so condensation has more time to form on the evaporator and doesn't... evaporate... from high air speeds. Otherwise it works just like air conditioning mode. Not a substitute for a real dehumidifier.

Thank you for taking the time to make this video. Installing a mini-split is on my to-do list but I've put it off for a couple of years. After watching, maybe I'll get it done this summer.

My system is going in next Tuesday. Since I already did all the site prep including the electrical, I got a significant cost reduction from my HVAC guy that I can live with. More expensive than DIY, but 12 year warranty (Daikin) and ease of service by the same folks who take care of my two systems in the house. Since it's a business expense to install and maintain, that part is important to me, too. And I can keep working on the job that's "on the bench"...
    --

Would love to know what you paid, Jim, if you feel like divulging that info.

Messaged you Tim.
    --