Thread: A Question on Toolbox liners

A Question on Toolbox liners

Sorry if that has been answered before, i didnt find anything using the search.

What are you using in your mobile Toolbox to keep tools from bumping into each other during transit ?, especially things like Chisels, Marking Knives or measuring equipment.

I've been using some scrap foam until now but its a bit on the soft side, thought about cutting up an old camping map and using that or maybe Cork.

So what have you tried out and what worked for you folks?

Regards Philipp.

Yoga mats look cheap for tool rolls.

I use Pouches, tool rolls, or make small wooden dividers, boxes for them. If you want to do a little more work or cost use Kaizen foam https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam There is also an old thread of someone making an insert for a tool bag https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Tool-Tote-Tray Have fun figuring it out. Dan

Blog Entries
    My Lowes carry a roll of fabric that is designed for tool cabinet drawers.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Maybe you’d like non-skid shelf liner. It is grippy rubbery stuff that stops things from sliding around. You can find it online, or in stores that sell kitchenware.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I use Pouches, tool rolls, or make small wooden dividers, boxes for them. If you want to do a little more work or cost use Kaizen foam https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam There is also an old thread of someone making an insert for a tool bag https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Tool-Tote-Tray Have fun figuring it out. Dan
    I like the layered approach of the foam, i can get Cork sheets for cheaper so i think im gonna try to replicate that with those, do need some Cork anyways.

Also have my chisels in a toolroll was just curious about other approaches.
    Thanks for the answers

Blog Entries
    I don't travel much, but people who build wooden trays like this often line them with French fit (is the term I think?) foam.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Recently someone mentioned that they used some of the grippy shelf liner stuff to line a box for a hand plane and within a few weeks it stained the side of the plane that was laying on it with the grid pattern. I'd stick to stuff designed for tools.

Do you mean mobile as in taking them to jobsites in a vehicle or mobile as in rolling them around in the shop?

I use the Bosch L-Boxx system made by Sortimo for most of my portable toolbox requirements. Initially, I used the Sortimo foam inserts, but am slowly replacing them with the Kaizen foam. I didn't do this originally because I couldn't find a source that would mail partial or custom sheets through the USPS. All of the distributors would ship only full boxes, which were too large for the USPS. Then I found Brian Way, at Kaizen Foam Inserts, who makes custom inserts for the L-Boxxes and also sells cut-down sheets that are easy to mail.

The multi-layer construction of the Kaizen sheet makes it easy to adjust the depth of the cutout for each tool. The foam is easy to cut with a sharp knife and the thin layers separate easily. There is also a version of the Kaizen foam that has a white layer sandwiched between black layers that makes a great silhouette for the tool positions and makes it easy to identify when a tool is missing.

Big fan of Kaizen foam; I have several shop drawers lined with it for many small hand tools. These are kept in the shop though, not transported. The good: tools are contained as far as rolling around, each tool has it's own space, you know when something is missing, etc. The bad: you will need more room as the tools aren't consolidated as much as they would be loose.
    Search Fast Cap for videos of using Kaizen foam. The owner has used it for carrying small tools like in a briefcase.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 02-20-2018 at 8:35 AM. Reason: add comment