Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a 2HP dust collector, handle a 15" wide belt sander?

Will a 2HP dust collector, handle a 15" wide belt sander?

Do you folks think the Grizzly G0548ZP would handle my 15" wide belt sander, or do you think I should go with the 3hp model?

This link shows both.

Either would probably work but I'd go with a cyclone if you're going to be using the widebelt continuously. The filters will get clogged pretty quickly otherwise.

The machine's manual should list requited CFMs.

Inside to outside cartridges with no shaker or pulse jet blower don't work well with a sander even with a pre separator. Unless you are told the cartridge surface cakes and releases really easily, you might be better off with a good quality oversized singed felt bag. Once those cartridges fill, even the three hp won't work well. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Do you folks think the Grizzly G0548ZP would handle my 15" wide belt sander, or do you think I should go with the 3hp model?

This link shows both.
    Hi Dirk

I have the 2 hp, and it "sort of copes" with my Hammer equipment (which does not include a sander). My next upgrade is the DC, and it will be a minimum of 3 hp. I don't have long runs, which increases efficiency.

I have been lectured by a friend, who is an expert in this area (it was his profession), that all DC should vent outdoors. There are more factors at play than simply h.p. The size of the impeller is another factor. If you are planning to run less than 6" pipe, then you could just as well be using less horse power. Most machines must be modified to accept 6" outlets. Smaller outlets will throttle the extraction. I achieved a large gain just by moving to larger hoses.

What I am getting at is that it is more than simply a choice of two machines of different horse power for your sander. The other areas must also be attended to maximise the return.

Regards from Perth

Derek

venting outdoors is not feasible in cold climates unless there is some kind of heat recovery unit that can handle that kind of cfm.

I've got a 22-44 and been using it for 4 years with a harbor freight 2 hp collector with no problem

Blog Entries
    Should......

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stace View Post
    venting outdoors is not feasible in cold climates unless there is some kind of heat recovery unit that can handle that kind of cfm.
    The issue is, as my friend constantly reminds me, is that it is the dust we do not see that is dangerous. All DCs leak dust. Venting outside is safer. Also, collecting dust at the source is the best strategy, and that requires power and efficiency. Otherwise all one has is a chip collector ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with the above comments but like Alex said the option of venting outside is not a reality most of us live in. For that reason and especially with a belt sander I would recommend a two stage dust collection with a good filter. I'm on a budget and have space concerns but am in the process of purchasing and or setting up a two stage system with a high efficiency filter. Regardless of my decision it will cost considerably more but I'm not willing to sacrifice my health for $$$. A belt sander throws out a lot and I mean a lot of dust and as Derek points out its the dust you can not see that is really bad for you.

Lots to think about.
    Consider your layout and length of runs. Consider your electrical requirements.
    If I had more amps, I probably would have gone with 3hp.
    My 2hp cyclone takes care of my 20" widebelt just fine, but I exhaust outdoors.
    If you're sanding 4" boards I guarantee 2hp will be fine. If you're sanding 15" wide stuff all day I think you'll need more suckage.

Either way, If you overflow the drum with fine dust from the widebelt and it gets into the cartridge filter, you'll spend all day cleaning it.

I'll have a very short run. The sander will be right next to the wide belt.
    I'll be sanding 6 - 12" wide stock all day.
    The sander has a 5" port, that I can't/won't modify....but the port is on top of the machine. Getting the hose from the DC up to the sander port, will take some snaking of the hose/PVC in order to avoid sharp angles. Porting outside is not an option, in Wisconsin.

Since the sander is pulling 5hp, I really was hoping to avoid a 3hp DC. That's 8HP worth of electricity I'm consuming, hours on end.

Sure, going to a 2HP DC is only saving a few amps, but every little bit help, when I'm doing this every day.
    I've decided a 1 HP units (G0583z) will be fine, with one on my planer, and one on my table saw, and another split between my 2 chop saws and radial arm....but I doubt it'll cut it, on my sander.

So, I'm hoping to put the 2HP unit (G0548zp for $515) next to the sander, as a dedicated DC.

The Sander specs call for 700 CFM, and the 2hp DC says it moves 1700 cfm....so that gives me a lot to play with, don't you think?

I didn't know Jet made a mini-cyclone.

Which do you think would do better on a 15" wide belt:

This Jet
    or
    This Grizzly

The sander specs call for 650 CFM minimum...it's the Grizzly G0819.

The short cone cyclones generally don't separate as well as the long-cone and larger units.

One thing about "specifications" on mass-market dust collectors...they don't usually reflect real-world performance. Check the fan curves (if they are available...often not) to determine how one unit compares to another.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    My Grizzly G0440, 2HP cyclone does great with my Supermax 19-30 drum sander even with only one 4" port on the sander. I had assumed I would need to modify the sander before I ever even fired it up but, dust collection has been one of the better locations in my shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the Grizzly at 1700 CFM.
    That's just so much higher than the recomended CFM of the sander, so I can't imagine the sucking power diminishing that much, to be an issue.
    Especially since the DC will be right next to the sander.
    Even if I have to rotate the filter cleaner handle every couple of hours, I'd be fine.