Thread: New 40x48x12 pole building shop layout

New 40x48x12 pole building shop layout

Guys,

building a shop the end of April! attached is a shop layout. The left side square is a finish room with Miter saw next to it. Drum sander above the miter saw. The other white block above the finish room is an assembly table. To the right of the assy table is a spindle sander and bandsaw.

How does the layout look? My flow is in the shape of a U starting and the overhead door ending up in the finish room.

thanks for taking a look!
    Attached Images Attached Images

With that much space, I'd stick with the idea of workflow, but concentrate the machinery a little more to both make the remaining space more flexible around hand-work, assembly and storage and make it easier and potentially less expensive to handle dust collection.

Consider a bathroom (!) and, perhaps an office/administrative room to provide a cleaner and quieter area to support your craft.

That's going to be a great shop and I'm truly envious of the amount space you have planned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I have a Grizzly GO441 3 hp cyclone and all the 6" pipe and an extra 50' of pipe from my old 30x45 shop. I plan to have an office space in the corner of the finish room which is 12x16. Bathroom would be great but too far from septic.

Bruce, that looks like a really nice space. Good luck with your build!
    Jeff

I am putting my jointer planer opposing my ts so both can share same outfeed space.