Thread: Minimax FS 30 Dust port

Minimax FS 30 Dust port

Hello,
    I recently purchased a Minimax FS 30 J/P. My question is regarding the dust port. It appears to have a 120mm outside diameter dust port. I have a 5" dust collection hose attached to an Oneida dust collector. I am looking for advice from someone who has found a simple way to adapt from the machine (120mm) to a 4" or 5" dust collection attachment.
    Thanks,
    Jack

A simple rubber Fernco soil pipe adapter from the 'borg will readily adapt your 5" hose with your 120mm port. This is the single most popular and probably least expensive way to transition between these two sizes. The Fernco adapter slips over the 120mm port and the 5" hose fits the outside nearly exactly...a hose clamp keeps it all together. The Fernco adapter also slips on and off easily when a machine like a J/P needs to switch between hoods for transition from jointing to planing. (My FS350 requires that) I used these adapters on both my J/P and my slider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    Thanks for the information. I will take a look tomorrow for the Fernco adapter. I have never heard of this and I appreciate your quick reply. I had an opportunity to pick this tool up used and I am looking forward to putting it to use.

I did exactly what Jim said, works fine. If it helps you it is Fernco part 1056-44. I bought mine at HD and it had the part number right on the fitting. To get mine to fit on the machine I shaved some off the inside with a rasp, otherwise it was too hard to take it on and off. The other end went inside The 5” flex hose. It’s been fine so far but I will probably duct tape the hose and fitting together at some point.

Jebediah,
    Thanks for thee part number. I plan on making a trip their tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be in stock.

Fernco's come in all sorts of configurations. The ends can be the same size or different. They are sized for cast iron, plastic and clay sewer pipes outer diameters. The hose can go inside or outside or you can add a short piece of pipe and clamp the hose around the outside of that.
    Bill D

Thanks Bill. I made a trip to Home Depot and found that they carry quite a few variations. My first attempt was not successful but I will take a another go at it, probably today. For now, I have a 5" flex hose running from an Oneida dust collector. Attached I have a sheet metal reducer to attach to the 4" port on a Sawstop. I would like to end up with a way to move it from the table saw to the jointer/planer with a minimum amount of work, preferably keeping the reducer in place. A short piece of pipe may help here.

Rockler sells schedule 40 pvc to 4" hose adapters that fit the 120mm dust ports with no modifications. I put two of them on my FS30, so far so good.

2018-02-21 09.44.53_preview.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Jordan View Post
    Rockler sells schedule 40 pvc to 4" hose adapters that fit the 120mm dust ports with no modifications. I put two of them on my FS30, so far so good.

OP is using a 5" drop, so the Fernco adapter is still likely the least cost, readily available solution.
    --

I use the Felder adapter, it's 120mm inside and outside, and I find the right angle fits my jointer/planer and shaper hood the best. Being rigid it slips on and off the machine very nicely.

Part number is 02.0.020.

Felder Connector.PNG

5" PVC is hard to find at pipe yards. But 5" PVC is fairly common at electrical supply houses. They will have long sweep bends which are often hard to find.
    Bill D

5" is common in metal, Bill.

Isn't the electrical stuff heavy-wall?
    --

Again, thanks everyone for your input. I am still attempting to come up with a quick and easy solution to moving from a Sawstop to the FS 30. I think a "y" connection with a blast gate may be the way to go. Or am I overthinking this thing?

Jack, with dissimilar inlets, I agree that a wye with gates may be the most practical solution. Try to source a wye that presents the best air flow characteristics for where you need to locate it, too.
    --