Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Multi-Function Table -- Do you have one? Do you like it?

Festool Multi-Function Table -- Do you have one? Do you like it?

I purchased a couple of the Micro Jig dovetail clamps and was going to cut some dovetails into a bench I have to use the clamps as hold downs for things like sanding and routing. Then I thought they would just be in the way. My next thought was they are similar in function to the ones used on the Festool multi-function table. So thought I would see who has one of those and what they thought of using the clamps to hold work down.

I realize that the dovetail clamps would not provide all the functionality of the Festool multi-function table but they would provide the hold down capability.

So guy and gals if you have a Festool multi-function table do you use the clamps to hold work down and if so what are your thoughts/opinions??

Thanks
    Last edited by George Bokros; 02-17-2018 at 5:53 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The MFT is one of my favorite and useful tools in the shop. I struggled whether to purchase or not but decided to anyway. It was a great decision.

i use it for sanding and clamping panels mostly. It can hold wood vertical for cutting dovetails but it is too unstable (shakes) for that and hand planing IMHO. That is where a good heavy worktable is used.

with the attached track saw, it also provides me with options for easily cutting specific pieces such as molding. I can set the cabinet saw for one type of cut and the track saw on the MFT for other and not have to change setups.

If I had had my MFT before I put my primary bench together, the top on that bench would be setup the same way. The MFT is very useful in so many ways and I really like it; both for in the shop and when I need to work elsewhere. It really is portable. I have an older version which was "shorter", although the top is slightly larger than the current version. There's a thread here where I raised mine up to match the current normal 900mm height which is more comfortable than the older, lower setup.

As to clamps, I don't have the Festool set. They are nice, but to-date, I haven't felt the need for that specific setup. I do use Parf Dogs and recently retrofitted a couple to be similar to the fixed dogs in the Festool set for supporting the ends of boards, such as when using the Domino. There are a number of great 20mm dog and clamp solutions available to support however you prefer to work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was without a shop while having a new home built and needed something that would serve as an all-purpose bench. I decided to get an MFT3. Wish I had done this much earlier. It is great for all types of clamping and work holding, with different types of clamps. Also, the holes are CNC machined in a perfectly square arrangement which allows for some very useful work arrangement for cutting or clamping at 90 and 45 degrees (among others). I have used that feature many times to assist in door frame gluing, drawer box assembly and much more. With the right clamps, it made for quick work when installing and trimming edge banding on plywood panels. I am finding more uses for it all the time.

It is expensive for what it is and I have never used the protractor for anything other than holding the fence along the rear of the table. The leg cross braces help stability significantly, but cost extra. The MFT would not be a choice (for me) for hand planing or any activities where one needs a rock solid, heavy mass below the work, but for 90% of my work it is just a joy to use.

I decided to make a mobile cart and an auxiliary top that can be paired with it for a larger work surface and the combination is very flexible. Most of the time, I keep the MFT folded and on top of the cart as my "shop" is very limited on space. I do have a few Festools, but am not a Festool fanboy. The MFT is one of those things that was a game changer for me as I learned how to make use of its versatility and I'd buy it again without batting an eye.

MFT3 and cart1.jpg

MFT 2.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-18-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I own the MFT and its like most festool tools. I cringed when I bought it but quickly realized it was the right purchase. I use to own a woodworking business which found me doing a lot of work out in the field and it was time consuming and a pain to set up something which served as a decent bench. While the mft is heavier then I would like it fit the bill. Now that I have down sized and am working out of a small basement shop I find the MFT perfect for a extra surface area when I need it and when I don't I can collapse it and get it out of my way.

Do I like having a work table that does what the MFT does? Absolutely.

Do I like that I’ve paid an astronomical amount for one - twice? Absolutely not.

I've been using 2 of them in the shop since 2008. The knock down feature is nice and allows you to open up work space. The clamping is accurate and most of the clamps work well. The major con now is that the price is has literally doubled and IMHO is in the stupid zone for buying, great for me if I want sell because I can probably make more than I paid for them.

George, if you are considering adding a grid of holes to an existing bench, you need to consider the thickness of the top. The festool C clamps slide through the holes at an angle and if the top is too thick they won't fit. I'm contemplating drilling wider holes on the bottom of my bench to resolve this problem.

I still use my mft and enjoy for reasons others have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    George, if you are considering adding a grid of holes to an existing bench, you need to consider the thickness of the top. The festool C clamps slide through the holes at an angle and if the top is too thick they won't fit.
    True dat...normal MDF thickness shouldn't be exceeded for using the "through the hole" clamps from Festool, Bessey and others as you can't get the angle you need to get the bent end through to the bottom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

These work with any thickness top: http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...838,43845&ap=1
    Actually like them better than the Festool clamps for workholding, bit more expensive tho.

If the MFT is going to be your main work bench, you may want to invest in the leg braces https://www.festoolusa.com/accessory/495502---mft-3-qt
    Gets a bit wiggly with some operations like planing, sanding, chiseling. Great lightweight system otherwise.

Speaking of Veritas clamps, one of my favorites:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...22&cat=1,41637

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    So guy and gals if you have a Festool multi-function table do you use the clamps to hold work down and if so what are your thoughts/opinions??
    I find that the Festool screw clamps do not hold reliably as they tend to let go under pressure. The toggle version is really good but the clamps that I use the most are the clamping elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan Drozdowskyj View Post
    ...The toggle version is really good but the clamps that I use the most are the clamping elements.
    +100. Love the toggle version and especially the clamping elements. I just the MFT yesterday to square up some drawers, using QWAS dogs to get perfect 90s and the clamping elements to hold it whilst the glue dried.
    Mark McFarlane

I drilled a piece of plywood using the parf guide which did a great job keeping everything square. I've cut a cross of dovetails in the table top to use the microjig dovetail clamps as stops. Parf dogs used as the dogs. I use it either on a couple 2x4's on sawhorses or clamped to a heavy workbench for work that needs better lateral stability. This setup does great for tracksaw and domino work. Dave Stanton has a youtube video of creating a more sophisticated setup that i got some ideas from.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    +100. Love the toggle version and especially the clamping elements. I just the MFT yesterday to square up some drawers, using QWAS dogs to get perfect 90s and the clamping elements to hold it whilst the glue dried.
    While I like the clamping elements very much, the one thing I find bothersome is that they tend to lift a work piece off the MFT surface at a slight angle when clamping. Possibly my technique, but I still won't trade them as they are so useful and have such a low profile.
    Dick Mahany.