Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do I go to get bearings replaced?

Where do I go to get bearings replaced?

Hi guys.
    My 20 yr old JET 12" bandsaw was throwing the lower tire. When I opened it up, the lower wheel was hard to turn. Took it apart and looks like I have a couple siezed bearings in the axle on which the wheel is mounted. I can see the discoloration that indicates one of the bearings overtemped. I can see a bit of sawdust too. Ain't hard to figure out what happened.

These are common bearings (6203LU) and I can get them in a sealed version for $5 each. My problem is that I don't feel comfortable punching out the old ones and I dont have a press to put the new ones in.

What kind of business do I go to in order to have them replace these bearings for me?

Thanks for giving me a hand.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

any machine shop. But with that saw, their rates might scare you a bit. With a bandsaw, i wouldnt think twice about going at it myself. They're not precision machines in grand scheme of things.

I would go to a local machine shop if you have one in the area.

Fred, I wonder if they're even the type bearing that needs to be pressed inrto place, or if maybe the overheating seized them up? Can you tap on them with something to see if they'll move? Just guessing here, I'm no machinist.
    Last edited by Nick Decker; 02-17-2018 at 5:50 PM.

I would just lay them on your bench with some blocks or in a vise and find a couple sockets that match the bore on the wheel and squeeze them out yourself. Peck the replacements in with a soft mallet and finish them off the same way.

If it's anything like the bearings on a regular 14 inch Delta type bandsaw, you don't need a press. Just remember where the bearings are if they don't have shoulders, and tap them onto the shafts with a hammer and a socket or a three-quarter inch pipe.

Easy to replace yourself but any shop that rebuilds auto engines or any one that works on trucks can do it easily. A bug truck shop may not bother to charge you if it only takes a few minutes.

I like to use the old races as pushers to force the new bearings into place. First pull the old bearings then I use the old outer race by first grinding a little off the outer diameter. Like maybe .005" or a little more. The I take the bearing apart. If you need to you can anneal the inner race and enlarge the inner bore a fraction with a drill.
    As mentioned above a socket makes a good press and holder. A hard wood plug can be turned to fit as well. They will work a few times before the end will need to be faced off.
    before had a lathe I used pvc pipe and couplings. These can be split lengthwise and hose clamped to reduce the diameter.
    Just make sure when removing that the hub is well supported as close to the outer bore as possible. Same for the install. On install, if this is a normal use, push only on the outer race. never transmit any installation force through the balls from one race to the other or you risk denting the races and balls.
    It is often easiest to pound on the inner race to remove the old bearing. This is fine.
    Bil lD

PS use sealed bearings not shielded unless rpm is over about 10,000
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-17-2018 at 6:13 PM.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

After all your encouragement, I watched a couple utube vids and thought I'd give it a try. Well, I tried anyway. But I couldn't pull the bearings to save my life. I thought if I could get the shaft all the way out, I could tap each bearing from the other side to free it. But that shaft won't move more than 1/4" in either direction and the bearings don't move at all when the shaft does. I'm frustrated at this point.

Here are the pics. This part bolts into the saw. I've tried tapping out the bearings with it in and with it out.

20180217_184406.jpg
    20180217_184428.jpg
    20180217_184438.jpg

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Probably has to be pulled out not pressed out through the axle opening. If you have the model number of the machine check the manual online or paper if you have it. In particular the exploded drawings. They'll show how the axle looks.

If if they need to be pulled you'll need a puller. Search for blind hole bearing puller. Lots of videos on that too. Ca get the cheap as $40 or so.

The axle is taken out then basically a pair of hooks then goes through the hole and grabs the inner race from behind. Then you attach a rod with a slide hammer and you then pull them out.

Here is an example. https://youtu.be/eNCKmPPdNqQ

Forgot to mention that to make the press in easier put the new bearing in the freezer for a while first. Then press it in. That will shrink it and make it easier.

Looks like the manual here: http://www.mikestools.com/download/J...20-%206-07.pdf

It has a bearing collar at both ends, and the shaft comes out from the end opposite the bolt that holds it in based on your picture. Nothing but that bolt appears to be holding it in.

Mike, Roy, thank you.
    So I tap the shaft through both bearings, in the direction opposite to that bolt? I just keep tapping until it comes all the way out? Then use a blind puller to get the bearings out? It's that straightforward?

The bearings may be a "PRESS FIT" onto the axle, which means axle would need to be pressed out of assembly, freeing bearings, at least one of them. Other would most likely come out with axle, and then be removed using a bearing / gear puller. 6203-2RS bearings are only $1.99 at Fastenal. They are the most common size ball bearing in the world

I can't swear to it, but it sure looks that simple. That exploded diagram looks like your pic, and there's nothing like retainer rings shown.