Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaper Decision

Shaper Decision

All -

I am starting a large run of raised panels and I’m not sure my router table is up to the task. Based on this I am looking to upgrade my router table and add a shaper to my arsenal. Unfortunately, my funds are limited to about $2000 plus/minus.

I am thinking a 3 HP shaper will do the trick. Using $2000 as a guide, I came up with several options. The lower end is represented by the Grizzly G1026. On the higher end is the Laguna 3 HP 4 speed. Considering shipping and tax, these two options are separated by about $850.

Any thoughts as to best value shaper (these or any other options) in the price range? Your input is appreciated.

Rick

Don't forget to get power feeder also.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post

Any thoughts as to best value shaper (these or any other options) in the price range? Your input is appreciated.
    Used.

I paid $1200 for a SAC TS125. You could pick up a six pack of those other shapers and the used SAC will outlive all of them.

Watching the local used market. I’m hoping something does pop up.

You might have to look at the used market if it exists in your area. I started with the Grizzly G1026. It is fine for the money but the fence is not the greatest. I think a shaper lives and dies with the fence. I looked for a long time to find a used PM2700 on CL and it didn't happen. I ended up with the Laguna Pro shaper. I think I paid $2600 for it on sale. It is almost identical to the PM2700. I love it. I was hesitant to buy Laguna because of the reports of poor customer service. The Laguna guys I spoke to about the shaper didn't know much about it. It is almost identical to the PM2700 and the Manual had pictures of the PM fence in it. Anyway, the Laguna fence looks better than the grizzly but not as nice as the pro shaper. I have a thread here that compares the Laguna parts to the Grizzly parts. There is quite a difference. I have not seen the compact shaper but from looking at the manual, it looks like the compact will be a similar build.

I will say this if you go used. Stay away for Delta or least go into it with eyes open. Delta is all but dead. Parts are hard to find. Spindles are harder to find and expensive if you can. The older ones have some spindle cartridges that sound like a pain to rebuild if the bearings go out. Delta fans will tell youdifferent but I have better things to do than search for parts.

I frgot about the photo buck problem so here are some of the pictures of the comparison thread.
    20160506_174119.jpg20160506_174151.jpg20160506_174701.jpg20160506_174701.jpg20160506_175352.jpg20160506_175514.jpg20160506_175604.jpg

Don’t waste your money on a G1026. Keep an eye on machinerymax.com and steal a good machine like Martin’s. They usually come bundled with a power feeder too.
    -Lud

Don't forget the tooling......

I agree. I have three recommendations:
    1) Buy used
    2) Add a 1HP feeder, way safer and a better cut quality
    3) Buy cutters as you need them. I've bought a ton used on ebay with good results.

Take a look at the used shapers on the machinery exchange on woodweb.com. They will give you an idea of choices and pricing. In the shaper world, heavier is better. Most will be three phase but a few will be single and all the three phase can be run off a vfd. You want a feeder for sure. Dave

Here is an example, just looked at Craig's list for Phili

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...494049572.html
    Delta shaper $475

I guess if you need it plug and play to make your contract, then new.

Otherwise, some used stuff.

I did not see of you need 1ph or 3.

Moak w feeder - https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...460823086.html

https://cnj.craigslist.org/bfs/d/del...484812117.html

https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls...494050155.html

https://reading.craigslist.org/tls/d...480092817.html

Joe beat me to it.
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-17-2018 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    Watching the local used market. I’m hoping something does pop up.
    Watching and hoping is not nearly enough effort if you would be determined to find a quality machine in excellent condition.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Is this a one time project, or do you have other wants/needs for a shaper? If it is a one time deal, I would just run them on your router table. (or if you value your time, order the doors. This is what a lot of smaller full time cabinet shops do.)

Provided you have a decent router/router table and a sharp bit, you can get perfectly acceptable results raising panels. You will need to take a couple passes, use a featherboard hold down, and keep a steady feed rate. I have built hundreds of doors this way. Yes, it is much slower then a shaper and power feeder, but you could run 50 panels on a router table in a couple hours.

It will take you much longer then that to buy a shaper and figure out how to use it, and by the time you buy the machine, tooling, power feeder, electrical and dust collection hookup, etc, I have a feeling you are going to be over your $2k budget. (speaking from experience here, I currently have 3 shapers and wish I had room for more

Hi James, 3 things

1) fence, shapers live or die by the fence, make sure it's a good one, easily adjustable, large fence plates, safety fingers if you can find one greatly improve your safety and work quality.

2) speed, you'll want to find one with a low RPM speed of 3,000 to 4,000 RPM, in addition to about 6,000 and 8,000.

3) spindle size should be 1 1/4" or 30mm

I don't know what prices are like in the US, a friend of mine just purchased a used Hammer F3 with feeder for $5K Canadian............Rod.

Several of my customers ended up with the PM2700 and spoke highly of it.

Erik