Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shaper Decision

Years ago I didn't see a lot of power feeders, but we always had spring pressure bars. I would not work without one.

Look at the used market if you don't have an immediate need. I had been wanting a shaper for a long time, but kept putting it off for various reasons. The main reason is lack of space in my shop. But a cruise through C-list last week, which I don't do often, placed a deal in front of me that could not be resisted. Got a 1974 Rockwell shaper with 3 horse power plant and 3/4" spindle. I think it is a great deal for a shaper newbie, especially for the $475.00 price tag and a spindle that had been rebuilt with new bearings and set up. Now comes the sticker shock of purchasing tooling and an eventual power feeder.

With a shaper, tooling it up is always the biggest cost factor. The cost of the machine can become negligible compared to tooling if you use the shaper to it's potential with a lot of different profiles. Lots of guys use insert heads and grind their own knives to save money in commercial applications. That being said, Freeborn has a very extensive tooling catalog, and my eyes light up everytime I look in there.

I don't intend this to be harsh, but a power feed is NOT essential to shaper use. It's a fantastic addition to one for high volume runs and lengthy moldings, and creates a better finish than can be typically attained by hand feeding, but it certainly isn't essential. I have quite a few hold down clamps and jigs used for feeding chair parts, cope and stick, etc....and get great results without a feeder.
    Jeff

On powerfeeds, most people wince and whine on this site constantly about tablesaw safety. I'd rather do the man dance any day with a tablesaw than a shaper. There's a lot more power, a lot more cutter, and usually a lot more to go wrong. I'd make the safety nazis and the sawstop fanatics run away, but I don't mess with shapers. When stuff goes wrong its a far different level of violence than a tablesaw.

Do I run stuff by hand? Sure. But it is not my favorite thing to do and things are either jig'd up or power fed whenever possible, which is most of the time. There's always situations where you will HAVE to hand feed.

Neccessary? Nope.

A wise investment? You bet your sweet little posterior.

The side benefit is smooth consistent feed rate which translates into a higher quality cut.

I'd also add that if you have little or no experience with a shaper, a feeder, while not necessary, is great protection from your greatest enemy- yourself. When I got a shaper a million years ago I had no idea how really stout you need hold downs and clamps to be. How easy it is for stock to twist into the cut, and how far chips and knots can fly. Until you get proficient with a shaper, that big heavy feeder sitting between you and cutter is a real comfort. Experience teaches how to safely hand feed but until then, look for at least a used feeder. $500-700 is no big deal. Dave

As others have said a stock feeder is really a requirement for safety and quality of work.

The stock feeder holds pieces far more securely than any human can, and feeds at a steady consistent rate with constant pressure downwards and into the fence.

In addition it doesn't have momentary lapses of concentration.

Yes. there are a lot of times a shaper will be hand fed, however many times the stock feeder is the best choice.

regards, Rod.

Out of all the tools in my shop, my shaper is the only one with a pucker factor when I turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Out of all the tools in my shop, my shaper is the only one with a pucker factor when I turn it on.
    Nothing makes you do an LMRA (Last Minute Risk Assessment) like the sound of a large shaper cutter accelerating.

regards, Rod.

Rod

If I fire up the shaper or the planer, my wife will not stay on the shop. The rest of the machines she is fine with.
    I have a 16" jointer with a square cutter head. That's a little intimidating. 😉