Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeeze out trick you guys are holding out on me.

Squeeze out trick you guys are holding out on me.

So am I the only one that watched the Grizzly video and saw the guy clean up the squeeze out with a plastic straw and thought it was the best idea ever? Have you guys all known about this and have just not be telling me to see how long it would take for me to figure out.

Darn you figured us out!

I'm waiting on Festool to come out with a better engineered, much more expensive straw.

I clamp for 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on what it is, the temperature, and how big a hurry I'm in. When I take the clamps off I scrape the glue. At that point its cured enough that it won't smear, but not so hard that it will put my eye out, or pull wood fibers loose.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I'm waiting on Festool to come out with a better engineered, much more expensive straw.

I just spilled my beer! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    I clamp for 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on what it is, the temperature, and how big a hurry I'm in. When I take the clamps off I scrape the glue. At that point its cured enough that it won't smear, but not so hard that it will put my eye out, or pull wood fibers loose.

Yep! Been doing 35 minutes in my garage this week and it's been just right..............Set the timer on the stove.

I bought a couple of the "we'll be back" signs with the clock on them like you hang in the shop door when you go to lunch. When I finish clamping I set one for the current time and lay it on the piece its for. I don't have the "ding" of the timer to remind me, but I'm usually ready to clamp up the next piece by then anyway. It just keeps me from having to try to remember exactly when I put it in the clamps. It also helps me keep pace with my production when I'm doing repeats of the same thing. You might think I should get more clamps, but that's not the issue. Its more of a place to put the glue up as I'm usually doing large panels and passage doors. I've worked out a schedule so I'm either doing prep work on the next piece or follow up on the piece I just glued that fills the time being glue ups. Its working pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    So am I the only one that watched the Grizzly video and saw the guy clean up the squeeze out with a plastic straw and thought it was the best idea ever? Have you guys all known about this and have just not be telling me to see how long it would take for me to figure out.
    im with you on this one. I saw it and said “what the”. Then immediately stored that knowledge for the next glueup.
    -Lud

I wipe all of the squeeze out off with a damp rag right after I finish gluing...am i doing it wrong?

Also, save those un asked for credit cards that come in your junk mail... cut to whatever shape/ size to act as excess glue spatula.

But use wisely so you don't rub glue into adjacent areas.

Rinse, repeat.

And for the Festool crowd -

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...Bubble-Tea.jpg

And even though a sharp razor cuts the part of the straw off you just filled w glue, sharp mini sidecutters are easier.. and one handed.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-17-2018 at 3:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    I wipe all of the squeeze out off with a damp rag right after I finish gluing...am i doing it wrong?
    Yes, that wipes the glue off. It also spreads it around into the wood and makes it harder to get completely out of the wood grain, especially if your going to stain it. You want to let the glue set up and get semi hard and then scrape it off. The straw trick looks to make cleaning corners out much easier then just using something as a scraper as suggested by other people. Watch the grizzly challenge video where the guy makes the end tables and you’ll see what I mean.

6:05 into the video below if anyone not familiar wants to see the Straws trick -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwIh2FuFag

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-17-2018 at 3:46 AM.

Actually, Woodpeckers beat them to it with a "One time limited edition" red straw at double the Festool price.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    I bought a couple of the "we'll be back" signs with the clock on them like you hang in the shop door when you go to lunch. When I finish clamping I set one for the current time and lay it on the piece its for. I don't have the "ding" of the timer to remind me, but I'm usually ready to clamp up the next piece by then anyway. It just keeps me from having to try to remember exactly when I put it in the clamps. It also helps me keep pace with my production when I'm doing repeats of the same thing. You might think I should get more clamps, but that's not the issue. Its more of a place to put the glue up as I'm usually doing large panels and passage doors. I've worked out a schedule so I'm either doing prep work on the next piece or follow up on the piece I just glued that fills the time being glue ups. Its working pretty well for me.
    I'm a little more high tech. I have Amazon Echos in three rooms and I'll be putting one in the garage too for when I'm woodworking. Just say "Alexa set a timer for 30 minutes" and that's all there is to it. She can also play music for you in the shop or do simple math for you. Just ask her.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    6:05 into the video below if anyone not familiar wants to see the Straws trick -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwIh2FuFag

Marc
    Thanks for the link. That was a beautiful table and I like this guy's presentation. I've added it to my Youtube subscriptions and I'll be watching his other videos.