Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of my projects...

Which of my projects...

Here’s my unfortunate pattern. I feel good for a while, I get excited about woodworking, I start a project, I hit a rough patch with my health that lasts a few to several months, I start to feel good for a while, I get excited about woodworking, I forget where I was on my last project, I start a new project, I hit a rough patch... and on this has gone ad nauseum.

I’m hitting one of my good patches and want to get out into the shop. But I don’t want to start over, I want to finish one of my former projects. Here’s what I have:

1. A Roubo book stand as seen on Roy Underhill a few seasons ago. I’ve got the knuckle joint marked out and a little short of halfway knocked out.

2. A shaker table from Schwarz video. Ran out of energy trying to saw out the leg stock from 8/4 walnut but have the top and sides (minus the drawer) ready.

3. A Dutch tool chest. Have the sides sawn out and dovetail tails cut in one board but wasn’t happy with them. My first go at dovetails in anger.

4. The bookcase from The Anarchist design book. Got the sides, kick, and back cross board cut. Wife really wanted me to do this but got tired of waiting and went out and bought pasteboard crap (at least it was used and cheap).

so there’s where I’m out. Got all the tools I need for each project and the wood. Any thoughts on which one I should tackle?

Tony, my suggestion would be to go for the low hanging fruit. Whichever one would be the quickest finish will allow you to reduce your unfinished project list by one, which in turn will keep providing incentive to move on to the next one.

I'd do the one you can finish in the least amount of time, in case you start to fell crappy again.

Hope it gets better for you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’m not sure which would be the quickest really. They’re all sub owed to be relatively quick projects. My first thought would be the book stand but it’s got a bit of bowsaw work on curves at top and bottom 5hatmight slow me down.

I'm not sure which of these you really want to finish. If there is one, then do it. If not, scrap them out and start one you really want to finish.

I'm partially with the rest of the posters, and partially with Pat.
    It makes sense to pick the easiest/fastest route with what you have told us, but Pat's got a point; is there one that still excites you, motivates you? Then do that. If you don't finish, wait until you can work again, and keep plugging along. Make it a goal to finish something, even if it takes you a year or more.
    In your place, that is what I would do.
    In the times you are unable, go over the steps in your mind, plan, visualize and generally play around with the design. And/or collect wood, materials or tools needed for the build, or things that would make it easier.
    My health is not bad, but my income is low. So sometimes I have to wait until I come across (free or really cheap)wood, many times repurposed, or until I can find/scrounge the parts I need. It sometimes takes me a while. I just set it aside and keep looking for what I need.
    Just keep rolling forward when you can.
    I wish you good health.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 02-16-2018 at 7:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    I'm partially with the rest of the posters, and partially with Pat.
    It makes sense to pick the easiest/fastest route with what you have told us, but Pat's got a point; is there one that still excites you, motivates you? Then do that. If you don't finish, wait until you can work again, and keep plugging along. Make it a goal to finish something, even if it takes you a year or more.
    In your place, that is what I would do.
    In the times you are unable, go over the steps in your mind, plan, visualize and generally play around with the design. And/or collect wood, materials or tools needed for the build, or things that would make it easier.
    My health is not bad, but my income is low. So sometimes I have to wait until I come across (free or really cheap)wood, many times repurposed, or until I can find/scrounge the parts I need. It sometimes takes me a while. I just set it aside and keep looking for what I need.
    Just keep rolling forward when you can.
    I wish you good health.
    Almost all of them have pros and cons. I really would like a storage solution for my tools - other than hap hazard on bench and crammed in a plastic Stanley rolling tool chest. I’m just really up in the air on what I want to do — just know that I’m chomping at the bit to get out there.

eta: I have a large 8/4 slab of nice looking cherry that I’ve considered making a bench with bored legs.
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 02-16-2018 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Almost all of them have pros and cons. I really would like a storage solution for my tools - other than hap hazard on bench and crammed in a plastic Stanley rolling tool chest. I’m just really up in the air on what I want to do — just know that I’m chomping at the bit to get out there.

eta: I have a large 8/4 slab of nice looking cherry that I’ve considered making a bench with bored legs.
    You just answered your own question.

A place for tools is important. I'm working on a chisel rack now. Hoping to kind of make it modular. A frame that hangs on the wall of the shed/shop I plan to erect in the spring, that the racks will slide in and out of, so I can store them inside my home dry and safe, but take them out to the shop when I work and have a place for them.
    That bench might be fun, and fast. Love Cherry, personally.
    As for dovetails, I cut my first yesterday. They were fairly ugly, but meh, I'm a beginner. They will still work, just won't really look that great. Rain today, snow tomorrow means I'll be sitting on my hands, since my bench is outdoors at the moment.
    Whichever you choose, make sure it is something you enjoy doing. Sometimes it can be more about just working the wood than finishing a project.

Blog Entries
    If you finished the book shelf would your wife be able to use it? Would it mean the pasteboard model could go to the curb with a "free for the taking" sign?

One of the important tasks for a woodworker is to keep one's significant other happy you are doing it.

A spouse will be more likely to approve the purchase of a new tool or wood if they see it will lead to things they are happy with. My wife likes acorns. Now one of my tricks is to make an acorn from the end scrap just about every time something is being turned on the lathe. Just recently made a bunch for the grandkids hoping there would be a few left for the wife. Turns out our daughter in law also wanted a few. Of the more than a dozen that were made the wife ended up with one or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you finished the book shelf would your wife be able to use it? Would it mean the pasteboard model could go to the curb with a "free for the taking" sign?

One of the important tasks for a woodworker is to keep one's significant other happy you are doing it.

A spouse will be more likely to approve the purchase of a new tool or wood if they see it will lead to things they are happy with. My wife likes acorns. Now one of my tricks is to make an acorn from the end scrap just about every time something is being turned on the lathe. Just recently made a bunch for the grandkids hoping there would be a few left for the wife. Turns out our daughter in law also wanted a few. Of the more than a dozen that were made the wife ended up with one or two.

jtk
    either replace or be used elsewhere in the house. We have a lot of books and now that we’re homeschooling it’s getting worse.

Blog Entries
    either replace or be used elsewhere in the house. We have a lot of books and now that we’re homeschooling it’s getting worse.
    Then it sounds like the book shelf should be a priority. It also sounds like you will be making more.

One of my most made projects is book shelves. Just finished one recently and now could use another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would say the one that keeps your wife happy is a priority, however organising tools is very helpful. If the tool storage is not perfect who cares? It gets you back in the game and better organised.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Here’s my unfortunate pattern. I feel good for a while, I get excited about woodworking, I start a project, I hit a rough patch with my health that lasts a few to several months, I start to feel good for a while, I get excited about woodworking, I forget where I was on my last project, I start a new project, I hit a rough patch... and on this has gone ad nauseum.

I’m hitting one of my good patches and want to get out into the shop. But I don’t want to start over, I want to finish one of my former projects. Here’s what I have:

1. A Roubo book stand as seen on Roy Underhill a few seasons ago. I’ve got the knuckle joint marked out and a little short of halfway knocked out.

2. A shaker table from Schwarz video. Ran out of energy trying to saw out the leg stock from 8/4 walnut but have the top and sides (minus the drawer) ready.

3. A Dutch tool chest. Have the sides sawn out and dovetail tails cut in one board but wasn’t happy with them. My first go at dovetails in anger.

4. The bookcase from The Anarchist design book. Got the sides, kick, and back cross board cut. Wife really wanted me to do this but got tired of waiting and went out and bought pasteboard crap (at least it was used and cheap).

so there’s where I’m out. Got all the tools I need for each project and the wood. Any thoughts on which one I should tackle?
    Hi Tony

I am very sorry to hear about your health. No one here can know what it is like, and truly appreciate your struggle. My thoughts are with you.

Now I am likely going to sound a little harsh. It is just meant to focus you.

No one can make decisions for you. You have to choose for yourself ... and then you must complete it even if you feel bored or low in energy.

Try and do one project at a time. If you have to put it aside because of your health, then do so .... but when you feel better, return to it and complete it!

Asking for advise here - which project to start on - well, it is just avoiding having to make that decision yourself, and if you do this, you also lose your drive and motivation.

Decide which YOU want to do ... draw up a plan how you will proceed. Research less and do more. Take small steps if you need .... but finish the bloody thing!

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s I am happy to discuss this further via a PM if you wish.

Years ago I recognized that my natural bent is to start projects. I love starting projects. Not just wood working projects. At one point I made a list of all of my unfinished projects and looked at the list and dubbed myself master of the great undone. Since that revelation I try hard to not allow myself to start until I finish a few open projects.