Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of my projects...

Tony, I have some of the same issues as you. I get held up on projects for health reasons also. Maybe it's good to have several projects. Sometimes you just can't do a particular part of a project but you could do something on another one to keep it moving forward. Sometimes it takes me a year to complete a project. Sometimes I can't saw long runs but I can saw dovetails. Just do what you are able on that day. I very much enjoy my woodworking but there are times when I just have to wait for a good day. Sometimes I get 30 minutes in the shop and other times it is just 5 minutes. I wish you well in your endeavors to keep trying. Take smaller bites and it will get done.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Tony, I have some of the same issues as you. I get held up on projects for health reasons also. Maybe it's good to have several projects. Sometimes you just can't do a particular part of a project but you could do something on another one to keep it moving forward. Sometimes it takes me a year to complete a project. Sometimes I can't saw long runs but I can saw dovetails. Just do what you are able on that day. I very much enjoy my woodworking but there are times when I just have to wait for a good day. Sometimes I get 30 minutes in the shop and other times it is just 5 minutes. I wish you well in your endeavors to keep trying. Take smaller bites and it will get done.
    Jim
    Sounds a lot like me. What I have is similar to MS. For whatever reason, my nerves are rotting. On any given day any set of muscles/limb range from feeling ‘asleep’, to weak, to completely paralyzed. It seems to be cyclical with periods where things turn down and improve a little.

Tony, I always go to the shop with a task in mind. I often have to change my mind. Something like today is not a good day for sharp carving chisels but okay for layout work or rough sawing. Tomorrow is another day. I have to admit that it is difficult to do what you can and not exactly what you want. The other side is to do nothing and that gets you nowhere. Tried that also, doesn't work very well.
    Jim

Finish one.

Pick the easiest one. Make the push and get it done.

There is a giant mental boost when you finish something.. And this will help propel you to finish the next one.

Next thing. Pick the one that you don't wany to finish or have completely lost interest in and burn it. Now - it's no longer on your list... It's like a giant weight off your shoulders!

tony you said you were not happy with the dt on the tool box, it shop furniture dont let gappy dt bother you more than likely they will hold fine. shop furniture is a good place to practice a new skill. jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    tony you said you were not happy with the dt on the tool box, it shop furniture dont let gappy dt bother you more than likely they will hold fine. shop furniture is a good place to practice a new skill. jerry
    +1 on that. There is a chisel box of mine made maybe 15 years ago that was one of my early attempts at dovetailing. There are some big gaps on it but it still holds together. It lets me see my progress over the years.

Here is the chisel box:

Chisel Rack.jpg

You can see where dowels were added for extra holding.

Since then my dovetailing skill has improved:

Unglued Dovetail.jpg

At the time it was too cold to glue in the shop and too hectic to take it in to the house for gluing. My plan was to glue it up in the spring. Well, now it is kind of just seeing how long it will go without glue. It was made two days before Christmas in 2013.

Here is my most recent project using dovetails:

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...-From-Firewood

My intention was to include every bit of my dovetailing knowledge and hope others would add theirs. Over time one develops not only a muscle memory of the work, but an internal data base of technique. It is only by repeated efforts that we can eventually do something with what appears to be no effort.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I say do the Anarchist bookcase so that the wife can throw out the crappy particle board version. Remember; a happy wife is a happy life.

Hoping your health allows for longer periods in the shop.