Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut a thin slot by hand...

ySZS4Op.jpg

Plowed grooves for the two side wear strips, epoxying them, and the brass for the inside edge of the square onto the wood stock now.

Plowing the two grooves through this wood was a massive PITA, I'll say. Despite the fact that they're about six inches long, and 3/16 deep. The iron kept getting jammed along the sides, towards the end of the groove. There's just zero give to the material I think - most other woods will flex a bit to let the iron through, but not this stuff.

Out of the clamps, excess brass filed back. Next step on the agenda, the one that prompted the start of the thread.

014lBTx.jpg

Blog Entries
    That is looking good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, i was looking thru the link you posted on making a saw handle and attaching it, great link thank you for posting that info. I got to one of his lines.... If I am going to split a line, a fatter pencil is in order.... omg i about spit coffee, i think all of us have felt that way at times lol.

Thanks Jim! I'm starting to feel like it's going to turn out reasonably well.

dMmFxbQ.jpgvqtZzVz.jpg

The body is back in clamps now, epoxying the second, un-slotted, brass plate on the base. After that, it'll be cut down to length, and shape the ends of the handle.

All finished.
    IMG_20180330_215630.jpgIMG_20180330_215641.jpg
    There are a few things I'd do differently next time. First, I'd clock the screws in the top and bottom brass. Minor point, but the recesses pointing all over the map are a little obnoxious. Maybe even switch from screws to 1/8" steel pins, like the ones in the side wear strips. I ended up splitting out a bit of the wood putting in one of the screws, had to apply some remedial cyanoacralyte . Second, I'd use an epoxy with a little more flex to it. Used West Systems, since I've got it around, but I think something like West's G-Flex might have been a slightly more appropriate choice. Had a bit of an issue with the brass separating as I screwed it down - again nothing major, but something that would be easy enough to fix during another go round.

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)