Thread: New Chair

New Chair

I've started a new chair, kinda, maybe, details to be worked out. I think the seat will be Red Oak, the legs will be either Red Oak or Honey Locust and the back spindles who knows, I'll make that decision when I get there.

I've been looking at photos of some early stick chairs and for some time I've wanted to make a little more true to the early chairs chair. Prashun's stool pushed me over the edge. We will see how it goes, it may be a keeper but just as likely firewood.

I split some Honey Locust leg blanks and I'm in the process of making them kinda look like chair legs. Before I go too far I'll also split out some Red Oak leg blanks to see which I like better. BTW, I don't know if anyone else feels this way but Honey Locust is an absolute miserable wood to work. It is very hard and brittle but if you can get to the finished product it can be very attractive.

Working a leg blank on the shave horse:

chairLeg.jpg

ken

It is just as I expected it would be, the Red Oak is so much easier to work than the Honey Locust. I have several Honey Locust boards that have been hanging around the shop for years and I keep thinking I can find a use for 'em other than firewood. Oh well at least there is one of the boards that is now perfect sized to burn.

Bottom line, one decision has been made. The legs will be Red Oak.

ken

Cool! Looking forward to see how it develops. Red oak gets a bad rap, but I think it's great for long, skinny parts. It shapes with a draw knife so easily; the layers just peel off.

Good luck using it for the seat, though. I do not find that it scoops too well. Got any poplar, pine or walnut? These are a dream to scoop and shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Cool! Looking forward to see how it develops. Red oak gets a bad rap, but I think it's great for long, skinny parts. It shapes with a draw knife so easily; the layers just peel off.

Good luck using it for the seat, though. I do not find that it scoops too well. Got any poplar, pine or walnut? These are a dream to scoop and shape.
    Prashun,

Maybe I have no taste but I like the look of Red Oak. This is going to be a primitive chair so there will not be a great amount of saddle. That said, if the Red Oak kicks my tail Poplar or Walnut to the rescue.

ken

But..... Ken...... You're the Workbench Guy. Prashun is the Stick Chair Guy.
    If you cross the streams, won't something bad happen?

Merry Christmas!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    But..... Ken...... You're the Workbench Guy. Prashun is the Stick Chair Guy.
    If you cross the streams, won't something bad happen?

Merry Christmas!
    Fred
    Fred,

Too funny but maybe true .

For the last couple of years in between bench builds I've been making stick chairs, stools, low benches, and desks. While I'm still learning "how", I really like the form in spite of more failures than keepers. Right now I'm between workbench builds mostly because of no room to build another. The last workbench is an almost perfectly sized for a small shop 6' bench but no one seems to want it. So I've been working on it. BTW, it is a really sweet small bench with one of the best leg vises I've ever used. But that also means no new bench build until it finds a home. I have a BC Classic vise screw and 14" crisscross plus Will Myers' wagon vise sitting on the shelf just waiting for a new build. Until then, it's stick chairs and stools and maybe I'll get close to Prashun's level or at least have fewer splits and failures.

Here's hoping you and your family have a good holiday and new year,

ken

The Red Oak seat blank is in glue up:

redOakSeatBlank.jpg

And I split out eight leg blanks:

redOakLegBlanks.jpg

The shop is cold (for Tucson) so I will let the seat stay in the clamps for at least 24 hours.

The leg blanks are ready to be shaped, The grain is so straight I'm tempted to either put 'em in the lathe and turn 'em or use the band saw jig to make octagon legs vs. the draw knife for a more organic shape. This may take a little butt scratching to decide. Can't rush into things, dontchknow.

ken

P.S. Cold WX means chicken and sausage gumbo. Made a big pot of Cajun chicken and sausage gumbo last night and was brave or foolish enough to go past dark red roux all the way to roux black. It is so good but is also like working without a net.

Hang on till Monday - red beans and rice day.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Hang on till Monday - red beans and rice day.
    David,

I expect I will add cornbread.

ken

Burrrr, it's in the 40's F outside, I know that's not cold but give me a break it's in the 40's in Tucson. The chair build is in kinda a hold for now, the blank glue-up isn't setting up. I could face MsBubba's evil eye and bring it inside but waiting may be a better option as this is Tucson and warm WX is never far away.

The legs are going well, with a combination of draw knife and shave spoke. My thoughts are to use the lathe to form the tenons but that will be decided later.

ken

Blog Entries
    Burrrr, it's in the 40's F outside, I know that's not cold but give me a break it's in the 40's in Tucson.
    About the same here. For us, that is a heat wave this time of year.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    About the same here. For us, that is a heat wave this time of year.

jtk
    Jim,

That's the reason we have so many snow birds this time of year .

ken

I'm a fan boy, I might as well get that said up front. I've a pile of shaves in my tool cabinet and for the most part using them is love/hate. Love what a shave can do but hate what they usually do in my hands. That started to change when I bought a Woodcraft metal bevel up shave but the joy of using a shave had to wait until I got my hands on a Dave's Shave.

I just finished cleaning up one of the chair legs that was roughed out with a draw knife. The control, the feel of the shave in hand, the shear pleasure of the shave on wood is something that every woodworker needs to experience. Someday I may go back and give one of the metal bevel down shaves another go but for finish work a wood stock bevel up shave is hard to beat and a Dave's Shave is the best I've found.

BTW, I used his "Dog Bone" sharpening holder for the first time and it also works a treat.

ken

Blog Entries
    Someday I may go back and give one of the metal bevel down shaves another go but for finish work a wood stock bevel up shave is hard to beat
    The wood shaves and iron shaves are two very different tools. They are more different in use than bevel up and bevel down planes.

Wood shaves are slicing wood at very close to the bevel angle of the blade. Metal shaves are cutting at a much higher angle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The wood shaves and iron shaves are two very different tools. They are more different in use than bevel up and bevel down planes.

Wood shaves are slicing wood at very close to the bevel angle of the blade. Metal shaves are cutting at a much higher angle.

jtk
    Jim,

I know, different tools that in reality are for different jobs but are the same. Bevel up shaves fit my needs better than bevel down.

ken