Thread: Question about unheated shop space

Question about unheated shop space

I currently do not have a shop; I have an outdoor bench in the back yard, and the majority of work is done there.
    I have a 10'x12' metal storage shed, that is high enough to stand and walk upright in. I plan to erect it in the spring/summer, and move my bench in there, and buy one or two of the freestanding worklights like these below to use for lighting. Cheap, but should be effective. Very little cash to work with(I know that's relative, but in my case, think very small).
    https://www.harborfreight.com/fixed-...ght-61540.html
    It will for the time being be a dirt floor. Just a shed to basically provide cover for my bench and so I'm not caught in rain showers, etc. Had that happen a few times this past summer/fall. Me no likey, especially on my planes, chisels, and laptop/camera.
    I currently store my tools in my home, but was wondering whether placing them in the shed was a recipe for rust and disaster, or if they would fare well.
    My other solution is to build a tote to carry from the house to the shop outside, which, minus the tote, is what I am doing now.
    As an aside, the area I'm in is prone to black widow spiders. Found a nice one on my bench earlier last year, and have had problems with the storage shed we already have up in back.
    Would like recommendations on a way to maybe keep them out of the workshop as well, if anyone has dealt with it before.
    Thanks.

Don't keep your tools in a dirt floor shed - tote them back and forth from the house. You might make yourself a couple of Japanese style carpenter boxes - easy to make, they stack nicely - and if you don't go too crazy on the sizes they won't be too heavy to tote back and forth. Alternatively, get some nearly air tight plastic bins and store your tools out in the shed in the bins. Be sure to keep them oiled/waxed regardless of where you store them.

Here's a nice little kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPvjC9-XCg
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 02-16-2018 at 3:45 PM.

I keep a few things in a dirt floor barn. Some rust more than others, I would not keep nice tools there though, mostly just beaters. I do have a rather nice axe out there that I have to knock some rust off with steel wool every spring but its a fair trade off to have it handy when I need it. In general I would carry them back and forth.

As for black widows the only advice I have is move north

Mike my friend,

The reality is that 99% of tools have been stored out in places with no climate control for a very long time - even the good ones....

Is it optimal? No, not by any means - but we do what we have to do.... And it's far more convenient to keep them near the work.

If you can - store them inside...

If you can't - make sure they are on a shelf well above the floor and away from any drips, leaks, etc...

Your tools will require more upkeep - waxing, oiling, and wiping down after use.. But that's life....

Raising the shed up a bit will increase your headroom. Keeping the eventual floor well above grade will keep it dry but don't make a home for spiders. An insulated thermal mass floor (gravel down for drainage then foam sheet then concrete will work).
    Those stand lights get knocked over, take up too much floor and give poor light. Some overhead LED fixtures or tubes are far better. Hopefully the shed has windows to capture energy in the thermal mass floor to lower the relative humidity.
    Flagstones laid on gravel then sand can be inexpensive but not as good as concrete.
    As was suggested use totes to keep your tools dry and safe. Use fly strips to remove spider food.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Build the tote. Even if you leave the tote in the shop it keeps your tools handy. I don't see a down side to a tote other than the time and expense of building it. What's not to like about a tote?

C

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    Build the tote. Even if you leave the tote in the shop it keeps your tools handy. I don't see a down side to a tote other than the time and expense of building it. What's not to like about a tote?

C
    Hahaha! Point well taken!