Thread: Sending my saw out for sharpening

Sending my saw out for sharpening

So I purchased an old Diston saw and need to get it sharpened. I have to make a new handle for it as the handle has a chunk broken off. So I just want to send the saw plate out while I work on the handle.

Any suggestions on where I should send it and how to package it for shipping?

Jeff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    So I purchased an old Diston saw and need to get it sharpened. I have to make a new handle for it as the handle has a chunk broken off. So I just want to send the saw plate out while I work on the handle.

Any suggestions on where I should send it and how to package it for shipping?

Jeff.
    Here is likely the best answer on making a shipping box > http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/sawbox/sawbox.html <

It may also be the best place to send it for sharpening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 to Jim’s suggestion

Blog Entries
    Or,. . . . .buy a saw vice and saw set and learn to sharpen your own saws. That's what I did.
    Paul sellers shows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5DixEaaUo

I attended some classes by Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas many years ago.
    I sharpen and set my saws myself. It is not that difficult to learn.
    I have filed all of the teeth off of a saw, re-toothed and sharpened it. If you will take the time to
    learn to do it, it is a worthwhile endeavor. You will know how to do something new.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-16-2018 at 5:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Or,. . . . .buy a saw vice and saw set and learn to sharpen your own saws. That's what I did.
    Paul sellers shows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5DixEaaUo

I attended some classes by Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas many years ago.
    I sharpen and set my saws myself. It is not that difficult to learn.
    I have filed all of the teeth off of a saw, re-toothed and sharpened it. If you will take the time to
    learn to do it, it is a worthwhile endeavor. You will know how to do something new.

It is not hard to learn saw sharpening. Millions of videos showing the skill.

Most reputable places will need a handle on the saw to test cut it after it's sharp to make sure it works as intended. Perhaps wait until the new handle is done to send it out.

Missuola has a saw guru....just down the road in Montana... Bob Summerfield does a very nice job.

Blog Entries
    I just realized that I misspelled vise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I just realized that I misspelled vise.
    Isn't all of our fascination with saws a sort of vice?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Most reputable places will need a handle on the saw to test cut it after it's sharp to make sure it works as intended. Perhaps wait until the new handle is done to send it out.
    Ah, I didn't think of that. But of course you are absolutely correct.