Thread: Is anyone using the Woodpeckers coping sled?

Is anyone using the Woodpeckers coping sled?

If so, how do you like it?
    Is it worth the price?

Woodpeckers has it right now for $119 - including the optional 15" guide.
    I can save the cost of shipping by picking it up from them.

I tried to get by using a shop made sled and it didn't work out. Every time I clamped down on the stock, the sled would flex.
    I like the idea of having the clear rail that rides along the upper part of the fence instead of using the miter slot.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I looked at the Woodpecker and Infinity sleds 5 yrs ago or so and decide on the Infinity (the top version of their sled) and love it. Regardless of which of these two sleds you get you will not regret the purchase!!

Jack

I have it, I love it, I heartily recommend it.
    Chuck

I have it and it's a very good sled. I wish it had a bit more width capacity, which I think is about 5.5". The other need, as I see it, is a clamp to hold down the backer board. I rigged up a hold-down clamp myself but it's not very elegant. Without the clamp, the backer board shifts when the bit hits it. I sent an email to Woodpeckers and their response was, "Thank you." I see they havent changed the design, though.

I used mine for the first time this week. I bought it a couple years ago, but did not put it together until this week because I was starting a project with about a dozen F&P parts. While I was putting it together I it dawned on me that the backer board was not secured. Finding a solution to that problem lead me here, and to Nick's solution of using a hold down clamp. I dug through my jig boxes and found a couple of old unused Destaco clamps and mounted them to the back rail. They work perfectly for holding down backer boards.

sled-hold-downs.jpg

Looks good, Kevin, and cleaner than mine. Still a little miffed and surprised that Woodpeckers left such an obvious problem unsolved.

I bought the Woodpecker coping sled about 9 years ago, along with their Super Fence but no longer use it. I found it cumbersome and time consuming to have to do a complete new setup each time I switched between matched cope and stick bits (due to the added height of the sled). I also found the hand cranked clamping system annoying and very time consuming when doing large jobs.

I do all of my cope cuts using a miter gauge squared to the fence...perfect, repeatable results in just a small fraction of the time. And if I need to switch back to the groove bit, it's simply a matter of swapping out the bits and doing a quick fine tune to match.

If your router table doesn't have a T-track for a miter gauge, the sled is a good option to keep the stock square to the fence.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I used mine on a set of bookcase doors. I didn't have a problem with the backer board not being clamped down, because I just cut it to a width that worked for both those clamps. The screw clamps are definitely annoying, they should replace them with toggle clamps. Not something that affects the speed, but I have had to super glue them after the bolts detached from the clamp plates.

While it is more expensive I much prefer the Infinity coping sled with auto-adjust clamps.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I had one, looked pretty, but, found shop made blocks like Mark Sommerfeld are just as good and MUCH quicker to set up the next piece.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    ...due to the added height of the sled...
    I do find compensating for the sled height to be something I am forgetting to do, which always messes up my first test cut.