Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duct Size for a Harbor Freight Collector

Peter were you using a fan driven anemometer or hot wire type? Fan driven ones are reputed to read much higher than actual.

HoldPeak vane type one.

They give notoriously high and unreliable values. The HF is just not capable of those values.

I mush have gotten the newer model after that article. Mine came with a 5-micron filter bag.
    How long have you been waiting for the replacement impeller? That will probably be my next investment once I get the system assembled. As long as I know I will stick with the 5" duct system, I can proceed.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments...some good ideas, helpful hints and pics. I feel like I have a much better handle on this moving forward. The chase for perfection is an endless one...you do what you can, and hopefully at the end of the day you feel good about it.

This dust collection project is the first of many projects to get my small hobby-shop back in shape after about a 10-year hiatus. Feels good to have the motivation again. Looking forward to chatting with you all again from time to time here on the forum.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Morina View Post
    How long have you been waiting for the replacement impeller?
    I had to wait about 2 months for mine, Rikon will let you know the lead time prior to ordering.

Certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fred Morina View Post
    I mush have gotten the newer model after that article. Mine came with a 5-micron filter bag.
    How long have you been waiting for the replacement impeller? That will probably be my next investment once I get the system assembled. As long as I know I will stick with the 5" duct system, I can proceed.
    http://www.toolcenter.com/60-200-22.html

I Emailed them on Feb 10th , and received this reply
    Hi Pat

Update on Wednesday was we are to have them available by the end of the month.
    80 units coming in, 68 so far pre-sold

Not sure exact date they will arrive
    Added my order in , and just waiting for it to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    5" all the way, vent outside if it's an option. I'd also recommend the 12" impeller from Rikon.

I see some talk about replacing the impeller on this kind of DC.
    Does anyone have a link to the replacement impeller ?
    Is it a huge performance upgrade from the stock impeller ?

Thanks,
    Mike

See the link in Patrick Cosentino's post above....

The 12" Rikon impeller is certainly an worthwhile upgrade from the stock one.

10. Hi Peter, I am in the process of setting up my new HF Dust collector and am going to follow your setup, any chance you could provide a few more pictures? I'm especially interested in what the outside vent cap is?

Vent damper outside: https://www.famcomfg.com/products/wa...th-damper.html
    30 gallon drum and 5" adapters are from McMaster, hose and duct fittings are from Blastgateco.

Am in New Mexico at the moment, can share some more photos once I'm back at the house upstate.

5" all the way, vent outside if it's an option. I'd also recommend the 12" impeller from Rikon.

Where did you buy those sweeps? I've never seen any like it.

I agree with keeping it 5" all the way. An early version of my DC used 4" tubing and the HF collector. It was sub-par. I found a killer deal on used 5" spiral pipe, and that upgrade made a huge difference. When we upgraded the DC, the pipe was still sufficient for the new system.

Oneida says you should never decrease pipe size on the way to the DC. That's because the air velocity is going to be limited by the smallest diameter, and you don't want to have large pipe running low velocity air.

Piping, fittings and hose are from Blastgate Co: http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Prices are decent, sometimes they have specials on different items, just need to call them.

Piping, fittings and hose are from Blastgate Co: http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Prices are decent, sometimes they have specials on different items, just need to call them.
    Peter - Do you happen to know if the fittings from Blastgate Co will fit inside of standard HVAC snap together pipe of the same diameter?

I'd imagine the stamped fittings would probably work with snap lock pipe but you'd probably need to cut off the crimped parts. If you're thinking of going with the stamped fittings, spiral pipe really isn't a whole lot more money over the heavy gauge Greenseam stuff from Grainger. Quite a bit easier to work with as well imo.