Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In The Short Rows

In The Short Rows

The kitchen cart may be out of the shop before the evening Lagavulin. It needs the pull installed and another application or two of oil before it becomes the property of MsBubba. The only reason there is a question is I have to go in and work with the Sim techs for a few(?) hours setting up initial positions for the Sim's new visuals.

kitchenCartWithDrawer180216dscf2384.jpg

The cart's legs are White Oak, aprons, shelves, stretchers, and drawer box are Cherry, the bottom of the drawer is Honey Locust, and the pull will be Sepele, the top is Hard Maple.

ken

P.S. I forgot to add the drawer front is South American Walnut.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 02-16-2018 at 4:36 PM. Reason: add a PS

Finished and in place:

kitchenCartHome180216dscf2386.jpg

Closer:

kitchenCartHomeCloser180216dscf2388.jpg

On to the next project,

ken

Good Job!

I like the mix of different hardwoods.
    Try to buy such a well made table and it's probably not doable in today's furniture market.
    Last over a 100 years and really handy the whole time.

Again, Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    Good Job!

I like the mix of different hardwoods.
    Try to buy such a well made table and it's probably not doable in today's furniture market.
    Last over a 100 years and really handy the whole time.

Again, Good Job!

Terry,

Thanks. I have to admit there wasn't much planing in wood used. It was mostly dig through the wood pile and yeah that's about the right size. Then nope, I don't like the way it would look, go on the next board until I found enough wood to finish the cart. I expect you are correct, the joints are solid and I over sized almost all the components. The only thing I didn't do was draw bore everything.

ken

Lovely work and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Lovely work and wood.
    Thanks Mike,

ken

Blog Entries
    Great looking piece, weren't the wheels supposed to be red?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken,

+1 on the above. The cabinet is beautifully made and besides looking great, +1 on the comment that it looks well built enough to last 100 years.

Like the others, the choice of lumber looks great, I really like the grain on the cherry.

Great job.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great looking piece, weren't the wheels supposed to be red?

jtk
    Thanks Jim. Good eye and busted....the base of the red wheels was just a thin one to big for the legs. I had to go to HD to find some wheels that would fit. They are not as good as the red ones but they at least fit without overhang.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

+1 on the above. The cabinet is beautifully made and besides looking great, +1 on the comment that it looks well built enough to last 100 years.

Like the others, the choice of lumber looks great, I really like the grain on the cherry.

Great job.

Stew
    Thanks Stew.

Throughout the build I tried to maximize the thickness of the wood and joints for strength. I figured as a kitchen appliance it would suffer abuse and extra strength would help. To do this I worked the old fashion way of only truing and finishing the "show/reference" faces and edges. I was able to keep most of the aprons and stretchers close to 5/4.

ken

Looks great, Ken!
    Out of curiosity, when you craft your own drawer pull, do you just screw it on from the inside of the drawer front, or some other method?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Looks great, Ken!
    Out of curiosity, when you craft your own drawer pull, do you just screw it on from the inside of the drawer front, or some other method?
    Thanks!
    Phil,

Thanks,

This time I just used through screws, quick and easy. Sometimes I will use a threaded insert, I've found it doesn't make a lot of difference functionaly and in the end I'm the only one that knows or cares.

ken

Thanks Ken. And you’re right. The first person that looks inside and says “wow, are you kidding me, you just used a screw to attach the handle” gets asked to leave

No need to baby that piece. Nice and stout! Your choice of an oil finish makes everyone more comfortable using it as the landing pad when carrying things in from the car. I think that will become a regular part of your every day life. Great work on a utilitarian piece, that is better because it is made from leftovers, that is better still because it is beautiful. It would be interesting to see the maple top after 50 years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The kitchen cart may be out of the shop before the evening Lagavulin. ...
    I could have helped carry it in, tested for dangerous off-gassing, and certified it fit-for-purpose. And yes, the cart is lovely, too.