Thread: Putting a scarf joint in a purple heart timber

Blog Entries

Putting a scarf joint in a purple heart timber

I ran across this video of a shipwright replacing a teak keel on a 1910 cutter with purpleheart timbers with a scarf joint in order to make up the length. Timbers were 12"x16". That is a lot of purpleheart! I didn't add this to the video thread as is is more of a WOW video rather than a how-to video. Very satisfying to see him lower the timber and see how well they fit together. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKm460QWupM .
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-16-2018 at 8:27 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Definitely qualifies as a wow video for it's skill and endurance. That's two huge beams scarfed into one. I was expecting he would epoxy them together, it will interesting o see the bolting and bedding process. Thanks for sharing.
    If you are into shipbuilding videos check out Tips from a Shipwright.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 02-16-2018 at 2:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    I watched that video right after it came out & couldn't believe how much purple heart he had there. My grandson said it looked like it was made of ham, haha. Actually I think that's a great use for it cause in my opinion, it's not a very attractive wood, especially after aging a bit. It is a great moment at the end where he fits the joint together.

I follow this channel & especially Tips From a Shipwright as well. Both very good. The Tips channel gets way more into the actual woodworking aspect of boat building. I could watch & listen to that guy all day long.

Right Ole, it's a WOW video!
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 02-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Definitely a Wow. I'll never ever complain about fitting a joint together again!

Blog Entries
    Something here for everybody: chainsaw, circular saw, handsaw, power planer, chisels, hand planes...I went back and watched it again, I needed some WOW today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I know this is an old thread but Leo the boat builder who scarfed the purple heart keel and installed it by himself has videos of the entire reconstruction of the Tally-ho on YouTube. Just search Tally-ho. There are many WOW segments in the 80 or so videos he has made, all about boat building. It's fascinating. That's probably why he has 250,000 YouTube followers who keep supplying him with every tool under the sun.

Blog Entries
    Today's episode (#74) was particularly satisfying to watch. He wanted to save part of the old teak transom. Any woodworker would love to watch him strip and repair the 100 year old 2" thick transom pieces. Many holes and patches to plug and repair. Lots of stationary tools, power tools and hand tool at work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppFDus2E4CE&t=795s Yep, I am one of the subscribers. I am now watching so many different YouTube channels, a bought into their premium YouTube service at $12/mo to avoid all of the ads that are now part of the YouTube experience. Did I mention liberal use of Gorilla polyurethane glue?
    NOW you tell me...