Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me Pick a New Lathe

Question Help me Pick a New Lathe

Well my venerable Harbor Freight HF34706 lathe has finally bitten the dust. The adjustable sheave unit had a melt down and I don’t feel it is worth replacing on a $180 lathe. The fact that I just took a bowl turning course from David Ellsworth and was able to use his Poolewood lathes might have something to do with this decision.

While I can’t justify a Poolewood or similar high end lathe, I do want to get something that will meet my amateur wood turning needs for the next 20 years or so. I turn mostly small bowls (12” or less), platters and pens. I have no desire to turn hollow forms or a bowl large enough to hold a Volkswagen Beetle.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to two: the Jet 1642 2hp and the Powermatic 3520B. The Jet will run $2000 delivered while the Powermatic will be $2800. Both have similar features and motors. Both have a headstock that can be moved to the end of the ways. However, the Powermatic is heavier/stouter and has an extra four inches of swing capacity.

My quandary is, should I spend the extra $800 on the Powermatic? What say ye?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Kent, just MHO but, it appears to me that the turning bug has you right where it likes to have you! Seems that you most probably "willed" that poor ole HF to die, just so you could upgrade! If you're looking at expanding your turning horizons and, you can financially swing it, I'd definitely go with the PM! Now, I know a LOT of folks are perfectly happy with the Jet and I know a couple guys with one. But, the extra swing and heft of the PM is something you will come to appreciate as your pieces get larger and more intricate.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Go with the powermatic. There may be a (now outdated) model A still available somewhere and this will certainly lower the price delta considerably.
    Only the Blue Roads

My first suggestion is the white one from up North but the second choice would be the mustard colored one.

When you say for the next 20 years...... go PM and be happy for 20 years!

My first suggestion is the white one from up North but the second choice would be the mustard colored one.

When you say for the next 20 years...... go PM and be happy for 20 years!

WOW! I just read another post about double postings with the same post number and look here... it did it to me.

I think it must be something in the water.

Go with the PM. You say you have no desire to do hollow forms. Uh huh...we'll see!

7. Dennis talked me into going with the 3520A and I'm VERY glad he did. I don't know anything about the Jet, but know that I liked Dennis' yellar dawg and I also like mine just fine.

I think either way you'll be happy...

Good luck!

Check with Dennin Peacock for Southern Tool, they will make you a great price on the PM3520, saved me $500 under the best local price (which included tax).
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Kent:
    Only two reasons not to buy the 3520B:
    1. There is no way you can afford it.
    2. You can afford the Oneway, Stubby, Poolewood or other high end lathe.

Sounds to me like you have your answer.

Wish I could afford it.
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

If you can "swing" the PM, the larger machine will offer you a lot more utility over time...and new Poolewoods are no longer available anyway.

...and you were in the neighborhood with David and didn't tell me?? I'm only 20 miles from there! Sheesh!!! D
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've upgraded twice in the past 2 years and I don't think I'll ever ask for more than my PM3520 can deliver.. Rock solid and dependable.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Well my venerable Harbor Freight HF34706 lathe has finally bitten the dust. The adjustable sheave unit had a melt down and I don’t feel it is worth replacing on a $180 lathe. The fact that I just took a bowl turning course from David Ellsworth and was able to use his Poolewood lathes might have something to do with this decision.

While I can’t justify a Poolewood or similar high end lathe, I do want to get something that will meet my amateur wood turning needs for the next 20 years or so. I turn mostly small bowls (12” or less), platters and pens. I have no desire to turn hollow forms or a bowl large enough to hold a Volkswagen Beetle.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to two: the Jet 1642 2hp and the Powermatic 3520B. The Jet will run $2000 delivered while the Powermatic will be $2800. Both have similar features and motors. Both have a headstock that can be moved to the end of the ways. However, the Powermatic is heavier/stouter and has an extra four inches of swing capacity.

My quandary is, should I spend the extra $800 on the Powermatic? What say ye?
    For the kind of money your are willing to spend you should definetly try to rule out a OneWay. Simply the best machines on the planet.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Oswin; 11-12-2005 at 6:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oswin
    For the kind of moeny your are willing to spend you sould definetly try to rule out a OneWay. Simply the best machines on the planet.
    That would increase the bill substantially, even for the 1640. OneWay's machines are extremely well engineered and made, but when you get into the $3200 to start and up range, as you do in this case with their line, there are a number of very competitive options from known vendors and two new manufacturers, I believe, that were introduced to the world at the AAW Symposium in KC this summer. For the money, the PM3520 series really is a lot of bang for the buck! I own a Stubby (which for me was the "best machine on the planet" ), but would happily turn on the PM all day long--it's a great tool and the new version adds nice feature improvements. I'll go so far to say it's the best "mass market" lathe available right now. (OneWay, Stubby, Vicmark, etc, are all custom made and are in a different class of machine.

That all said...a serious turner really should consider the additional investment up front for a custom lathe to avoid the most certain "move up" later on!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    That would increase the bill substantially, even for the 1640. OneWay's machines are extremely well engineered and made, but when you get into the $3200 to start and up range, as you do in this case with their line, there are a number of very competitive options from known vendors and two new manufacturers, I believe, that were introduced to the world at the AAW Symposium in KC this summer. For the money, the PM3520 series really is a lot of bang for the buck! I own a Stubby (which for me was the "best machine on the planet" ), but would happily turn on the PM all day long--it's a great tool and the new version adds nice feature improvements. I'll go so far to say it's the best "mass market" lathe available right now. (OneWay, Stubby, Vicmark, etc, are all custom made and are in a different class of machine.

That all said...a serious turner really should consider the additional investment up front for a custom lathe to avoid the most certain "move up" later on!
    I didn't think that $3200 was all that far off $2800 Jim?
    It still is the standard by which all other lathes are measured and the resale value is legendary.
    If you went to buy one today the wait time is usually 3 -4 months.
    I am not saying that one shouldn't consider these other lathes but rather, you should consider all the machines equally and make a decision.

At any rate, with the US dollar in free fall it might be wise to stick with a domestic product right now.

Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Oswin; 11-12-2005 at 6:05 PM.

The PM 3520A is going for 2295 at Southern Tool, free freight. I haven't seen the B but many people, including me, think the A is just great. 2250 is a no brainer over the Jet--my opinion. I bought mine from Southern Tool and it came exactly when they promised, even rolled it right into my garage for me--but I understand that is probably up to the local delivery company.

Earl
    Last edited by Earl Eyre; 11-12-2005 at 12:15 AM.