Thread: Driftmaster fence compatibility

Driftmaster fence compatibility

I'm considering buying a more obscure used 20" Italian bandsaw (Steton 500) and I'm wondering if the Laguna Driftmaster fence is compatible. The rail for the existing fence is rectangular steel (as opposed to the round steel bar that most saws have.)

Not having seen or installed the Driftmaster fence firsthand, I am unsure if it will be compatible.

Anybody have any experience and thoughts on the matter?

Is there another aftermarket fence that is ideal for re-sawing I should also be considering?

I suppose I could contact Laguna directly and see what they say, but I figured I'd try this approach first.

Thanks!

I installed A Laguna Driftmaster on a Delta 14" cast bandsaw. All of the mounting hardware was included with the fence. It required drilling a pair of holes through the front edge of the table casting. Depending on the location of your current fence mounts, you may be able to avoid the drilling and use the existing holes. You can see the detail below. Hope this helps answer your question.

DriftMaster on Delta 14.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-16-2018 at 9:33 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't address specifically what I'm asking.

Most bandsaw fence rails are round in shape. The fence rail on the saw I'm looking at is rectangular.

Im trying to determine if I can upgrade the existing fence with a Laguna Driftmaster. What I dont know is if the Driftmaster can be mounted on a rectangular fence rail or does it have to be round?

Attached is a poor quality photo from the seller that barely shows the shape of the fence rail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

While I don't own a Driftmaster, it's my understanding that it includes the rail that the fence rides on, all part of the System. My guess is that you wouldn't be using your current square rail. But yeah, call Laguna to see what they say.

Ah, that would make a difference now, wouldn't it?

Im in the process of asking Laguna directly but haven't gotten a clear answer yet.

Thanks for that bit of info. I didn't realize that it replaced the existing fence rail, though that makes total sense if that is the case. I can't imagine that all round bandsaw fence rails are precisely the same diameter.

I should have been more clear about the pic of my installation above. The round rail in the picture is part of the Driftmaster fence assembly. The installation requires all fence rails, hardware etc to be removed and the Driftmaster system mounts directly to the bandsaw's table. It does include everything needed, but as far as I can see from mine, I don't see a way to mount it to an existing fence or rail of any type. Perhaps this pic might help.

IMG_2161.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-16-2018 at 6:37 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Ah, that would make a difference now, wouldn't it?

Im in the process of asking Laguna directly but haven't gotten a clear answer yet.

Thanks for that bit of info. I didn't realize that it replaced the existing fence rail, though that makes total sense if that is the case. I can't imagine that all round bandsaw fence rails are precisely the same diameter.
    The driftmaster comes as a complete kit with everything you need. You remove whatever fence and rail is on your saw now and install the driftmaster. I put one on my MM20, install takes about an hour or so. You will most likely need to drill two holes in the front edge of your saw table.

OK, fellas. Apologies for the dumb question. From looking at the Driftmaster on Lagana's site, it wasn't clear that it came with its own rail, but I certainly appreciate the clarity. The good news is that it will hopefully fit just fine on the obscure bandsaw I'm thinking about buying.