Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blue Painters Tape

3M green from automotive 233, bought cheaper tape once and it was crap then got worse in short time. Whatever tape you buy be sure its fresh. I get 233 by the box from auto suppliers good pricing great tape that can do any function. Ive probably seen it one off price in retail for 2-3 times per roll of what I pay for it. They have higher priced versions as well, one of them blue they use in the aluminum industry for taping up coils or raw eves material before it is run, stronger more plastic like. Never had any issues in applications with the 233 even use it for masking off one or two layers when sandblasting.

Don't buy the Home Depot Hdx brand of blue tape...it doesn't hold nearly as well as the real deal and was a complete waste of my money and time. I applied it on a smooth surface, rubbed it down really well and came back 30 min later to find more than half of it floating in the air with the rest barely attached!

From what I've seen the HDX line is a step down from the Husky line. I didn't think that was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    From what I've seen the HDX line is a step down from the Husky line. I didn't think that was even possible.
    Its amazing how far down those places will drive quality. In a moment of weakness I picked up a pack of packing tape (12 rolls or something) from the blue box and didnt get the 3M. What a mistake. The stuff is so thin it nearly tears just peeling it from the roll. It barely sticks at all. Im tempted take the opened pack back and try to get credit. Same thing with their stretch wrap. The stuff is the thinnest economy grade you can buy. Utter junk.

Sad that this has gone on so long that many consumers simply know no better. It has become "the norm".

I bet they'll give you credit for it.

If you buy packing supplies in largish quantities try packagingsuppliesbymail.com (10% code "PSBM10") and packagingprice.com.

On SC, Thou shalt not use the name of Norm in vain.

Marc

+1
    awful tape. will never buy again

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    HDX = Harbor Freight from what I can see.