Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost no cost burnisher

Uh oh, now I've gotta get a sodium filled Diesel engine valve and a metal bucket of water. I've got a grinder. What kind of safety and protection are recommended? Have you seen this happen? Sounds like too much fun...

It's that moth to a candle thing.

C

Attended Roland Johnson card scraper seminar at Woodworking show last weekend. He recommended using either a high quality screw driver, or "push rod." Seems great minds think alike.

I used a piece of shock absorber shaft.

Wayne

I used a new exhaust valve for a Slant Six engine. It's worked for a couple decades now.

Sodium filled valves were also found in some heavy duty Ford gasoline truck engines. That was in the '70s. It would take some doing to come up with a list of engines with those valves.

As far as it being dangerous in a car engine there's plenty of danger under the hood. My Dad was watching a couple guys fooling around with a car, revving the engine while they looked at it. The fan came apart and killed one of them. This was sometime before WWII. You think Dad would ever rev an engine while poking his head under the hood? He did rebuilds, engine swaps, upgrades (usually to small block Chevy) but when the engine ran no one was in the line of fire. Ever.

-Tom

I also do machining and use old/dead end mills. I have an end mill manufacturer just down the road from me and I have stopped in before asking for old, broken end mills, and they just give me a few out of a scrap jug they have of them. Put the broken end in the handle, and voila, a great little burnisher.