Thread: Drawer and Runner question(s)

Drawer and Runner question(s)

When building the top drawers for a desk I am contemplating, it is important to me to minimize the drawer height where the person sits to maximize knee space. It is also important that the drawer is usable for storing tools such as a stapler, paper punch, tape dispenser, etc. I have settled on an inside drawer height of 2 1/2" with a 1/4" bottom and 1/4" top clearance for a total drawer height of 3" with usable drawer space of 2 3/4".

The drawer sides will be 5/8" solid and the bottom will be 1/4" ply.

I have always built drawers with the bottom mortised into the sides. In this case I will be attaching the drawer bottom to the sides probably with a rabbit cut to the sides and it will not be as durable. Maybe I can add screws up through the bottom into the sides.

I generally use Blum runners but have used side mount where quality of runner isn't important so I do not have much experience or knowledge of side mount runners. Using undermount runners sacrifices 1" drawer height which I have decided is not acceptable for the top drawers. I will use undermount runners for the other drawers.

Questions:

1. What side mount runner most closely gives the experience of Blum Tandem with Blumotion? I don't mean that it closely resembles the Blum but that it is closer than other runners. My side mount runner experience is not much and has been with less expensive types.

2. Any suggestions for attaching drawer bottom without mortise? I have seen side runners that have a lip that projects under the drawer and this could support the bottom. However, I have only seen this on really inexpensive runners. Maybe this feature exists on a higher quality runner?

A keyboard slide such as this one might be applicable. Side mount slides are not difficult to install. I've used both KV and Accuride.

As far as the bottom, you are talking about a groove, not a mortise. Doing an applied bottom you must use plywood solid wood will not work. Glue and use screws, or nails or 1" narrow crown staples.

I like KV8450FM soft close side mount slides. They are very smooth.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I like KV8450FM soft close side mount slides. They are very smooth.

John
    I've been using these a lot. They are good slides. The best source I've found is Cabinetparts.com
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The weakest point is at the front of the drawer bottom. If you make the drawer front a little taller on the bottom you will be able to cut a groove into it or add a small piece of quarter round underneath (1/8" will suffice to add a lot of strength). I normally do drawer bottoms this way to maximize useful space. Also it makes a very stiff drawer. One limitation is that the ply can delaminate, especially if it is cheap ply. It should be ok for your desk but for a tool cabinet I added plenty of flathead screws.