Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Min Max s45

Min Max s45

Hi guys I just hit you up with bandsaw advice a few days ago. I've got a call into the owner of a min max s45. As I've searched forums the past week I've heard people bring up the min max saws. Saws that are pretty much unobtainable to anyone who makes less then $90,000 ! Year. I've been looking at bandsaws in the $1500 to $2000 range. I don't know the asking price of the s45 yet.i called on it a while ago and woke the owner up. I can see the saw was made in Italy. In his ad He said he replaced the 1.5 motor with a 3.6 motor. It looks to have ceramic guides of some sort. I see that the s45 was mentioned 6 years ago in these forums. Back then people commented that it was a good saw but not as good as a mm16. I heard some comments about the saw being hard to get parts for. I don't want to even think about getting this saw without jthe wisdom of the creek. At what price should I jump on that saw, if any. I don't want problems. I'm going through the refinancing process now. I should have enough money in my hands soon to buy a good new saw. I don't want to jump on this saw for $500-$1000 if you guys think I'd have a much better saw for $1500 new. Thanks guys

Jump on it. Parts are easily available as SCM still makes this saw in-house and the design has not changed much. https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwo...imax-s-45n.675

Certainly nicer than any new 18" bandsaw saw you'll find in the $1,500 range these days.

Was this discussion from 2012 what you had seen here?

When I was shopping bandsaws in 2012/13, I had seen a couple of local listings in the $650-750 for the older models (green, ~10" resaw, smaller motors).

If you can try it out and it runs well, I'd think it could be a good choice. (Ideally, try a cut representative of what you really want to do with the saw)

Some features will probably not show as well as currently offered saws (E.g., Laguna 18bx / Rikon 10-342 or 347 / Grizzly G0514X ):
    - Guides were the euro-style guides (not ceramic), but these are generally fine.
    - Fence is pretty basic (if still with the saw)
    - tension knob on the top... *sigh*

Do be aware that carbide blades in these sizes will run $175-250.

Matt

The owner of the saw wants $1200 for the saw. I haven't refinanced the house yet so that's to much for me. I also noticed that Carter doesn't make guide kits for min max saws. I love the Carter guides and I want them on the bandsaw I end up with. Thanks for your input

I'd recommend saving the ad and watching to see how long it remains unsold.
    What was the motor he put on it? Was it an older or newer model? (I would've thought older given the original motor spec that he replaced, so presumably less resaw height)

Re: guides...
    Minimax shipped their MM16 saws with carter guides for a year or two. That is what mine has. They are okay, but do require allen wrenches to adjust. I've heard some people prefer the euro-style guards, and minimax has gone back to those on their current saws.

Matt

The saw does look older. It's in the tools by owner section of Craigslist for Redding Ca. I think he said 3 or 3.6 hp.motor. guides looked to be European. Somebody said that they not all ceramic. The guides look dated

The original single phase motor on the two-tone S45 was a 1.5hp / 1.12Kw Arbor (black). The newer version of this saw ships with a 3hp / 2.2Kw CEG (silver).

Carter does make guides for these, I have a set on my S45. http://www.carterproducts.com/band-s...45-mini-max-18

Offer him $800?

I have the 18” mm saw and think it’s a very good machine. It was manufactured by MIni Max, I believe their other saws (MM line) are produced by someone else. The machine is intended for furniture makers - that was what I was told. The wheels are crowned which is different than their other machines - so set up is a bit different - teeth don’t hang over the front of the top wheel... mine resaws great with a 3/4 carbide blade and does everything I need it to do well.

Thanks Peter, I was looking under min max and didn't see it.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Condition is everything, but my brother just picked up an older S45 in overall decent shape for $600. It needed new tires, but still much less than $1200. I've seen older S45s offered up for sale more than once for well under $1k, so I'd keep looking if it were me.

The saw is still for sale on CL tonight. We haven't finished our refinancing yet so i don't think I can make an offer. He said it now has a 3.6 motor. If it doesn't sell by the first maybe I'll try and make a offer off $800. I planed on selling my powermatic model 44 14" bs. It's only got 1 hp motor and 9" rip. I could put it up for sale and be in better shape to make an offer on the first of month if it's still on Redding Ca Craigslist.

Looks good, single-phase, does not appear to be missing any major parts (fence looks aftermarket maybe). $1,200 is way too much IMO, even $800 maybe too much. If I were shopping, I might offer $600 and see where the seller goes. Reason being that parts (except guides and electrics) will be unavailable from SCM for that age machine. Best of luck with your search.

Erik

I think that's actually the stock fence. Somewhat awkward setup as it needs to be completely removed to change the blade.

Curious about the 3.6hp motor now...