Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-finishing a cutting board - which way is the grain?

I wouldn't obsess over it too much. Clean up the worst of it and put it back to work. It isn't an heirloom instrument or piece of furniture - don't forget, as soon as you are done, somebody is going to go after it with a knife.

To the OP: given that the use of scrapers and planes is raising some hackles, perhaps you should use a random orbit sander.

To the rest: To both of our chagrin, I'll edit all snark out of any posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Why?

You don't need the grain running the same way to be able to work that board if you have halfway reasonable planing skills. I would say choose orientation based on what produces the best figure and stabiiity, and rely on skill and technique to deal with whatever grain results. It's actually on roughly the same level of "not hard at all" as traversing on a convex board...

I practice intentionally planing boards with grain much worse than that against the grain literally every single night. They do not tear out. Of course there are cases where you can get somewhat better "sheen" in final finishing by working with the grain, and that's a reason to plan your strokes carefully to try to follow the wood's grain boundaries when you get to that step, but only if you're not subsequently going to sand.
    Why? Because it would be better. It should have been done that way to begin with. Nothing is worse than planing surfaces where the grain goes different directions on adjacent boards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Why? Because it would be better. It should have been done that way to begin with. Nothing is worse than planing surfaces where the grain goes different directions on adjacent boards.
    Finding a mass produced cutting board assembled with all the grain orientation running in the same direction would be close to a miraculous coincidence.

A full counter top cutting board salvaged from a 1928 built home by a friend an me doesn't even have many pieces side by side running in the same direction. Most of these were assembled and then run through a large sander. There was no reason to put in the extra cost of aligning all the pieces in the same direction. The interesting part about this old cutting board is it is assembled with hide glue so it has seams opening from years of being wiped down with hot water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Generally when you pick board directions you're trading off (at least) three things against each other:
    1. Grain direction. If you have trouble planing against the grain then you would want all of the boards with grain going the same way.
    2. Figure. You want the boards to look "good" when glued up, which to most people means that you want continuously flowing grain with no obvious discontinuities or sharp turns at board boundaries. There are all sorts of ways to achieve this, and some of them involve intentionally reversing the grain direction from one board to the next.
    3. Dimensional stability. If all of the boards in the glue-up have identical orientation (pith-up/down, grain) then the glued up board will be as prone to cupping as a single piece of the same width. For wide glue ups that can be a serious problem. You can avoid that by reversing every other board such that they alternate cup directions, but doing so sacrifices grain direction and potentially figure.

IMO being able to plane well against the grain is a key skill for good glue-ups precisely because it allows you to ignore (1) and focus entirely on the appearance and dimensional stability of the piece. That's a lot easier than having to worry about all 3 at once in my experience.

Blog Entries
    Planing against the grain is important for most scenarios since grain reversals in wood are extremely common. However I always align boards in a glue up to plane the same direction and usually go through a bit of hell to ensure that. I don’t want the rug effect happening on a panel, so I slip match them in odd numbers, of pairs if they’re perfectly VG.

I’d recommend planing this, will be an excellent training program and if it goes poorly then chop it with a cleaver until it looks untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Planing against the grain is important for most scenarios since grain reversals in wood are extremely common. However I always align boards in a glue up to plane the same direction and usually go through a bit of hell to ensure that. I don’t want the rug effect happening on a panel, so I slip match them in odd numbers, of pairs if they’re perfectly VG.
    Yeah, good point. I probably overstated the regularity with which I mix grain directions in glue ups (though I think it is something that we must be able to do when there's no other way out of a tricky grain-matching problem).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    [edit]
    However I always align boards in a glue up to plane the same direction and usually go through a bit of hell to ensure that.
    That is one of the big differences between something handmade by an experienced craftsman or artist and something made in a factory and machines.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim!

WOW! Thanks to everyone for the discussion.
    As someone pointed out, it's just a cutting board and not a fine piece of furniture so I'm not too stressed over it. I am, however, trying to improve my planing skills to be able to work on fine furniture.

So, I started planing with very thin shavings in a random direction. After a couple tries I think I figured out the planning direction to use on the three boards (indicated by the arrows in the pictures).
    Board A still gave me tearout along the long part that I circled, and since it's such a large area I'm not 100% sure about the grain direction for that one, but I'm guessing it is more of my technique.

What I'd like to know is if I could have saved myself the trial and error from being able to read the face grain and end grain, or if you really just have to guess and test.

Someone also mentioned the cap iron setting so I've attached a picture of how the plane is set up. Maybe that is why I still had tearout?

I've also purchased a card scrapper and burnisher and once I get it sharpened I will try that for the final smoothing.

Photo Feb 17, 6 01 20 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 17, 6 02 31 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 17, 6 02 36 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 17, 6 02 41 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 17, 6 18 56 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 17, 6 19 44 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mishkin Derakhshan View Post
    Someone also mentioned the cap iron setting so I've attached a picture of how the plane is set up. Maybe that is why I still had tearout?
    The setback of your cap iron is in the right ballpark. I think the problem is that the leading edge angle is too low to effectively break the shaving and suppress tearout. Based on the way it's finished I suspect that that's a cap iron from a Quangsheng-made plane (most likely sold as WoodRiver here in the US). Those ship with a 25 degree bevel, and you realistically need 50+ degrees at the very tip to prevent tearout.

Search for "David Weaver cap iron" and you'll find an informative article on the topic. I can't link it because it's on a "rival forum".
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-18-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Based on the way it's finished I suspect that that's a cap iron from a Quangsheng-made plane (most likely sold as WoodRiver here in the US). Those ship with a 25 degree bevel, and you realistically need 50+ degrees at the very tip to prevent tearout.
    Yup. A woodriver.

Just to be clear, you are saying to sharpen the cap iron to sharper angle like B in the (exaggerated) picture?
    Photo Feb 17, 8 02 09 PM.jpg

And thanks for the other article, studying it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Looking at the 5th picture (with the Henckels logo) the bottom board would plane best left to right.
    Just focusing on one board so I can gain a better understanding of grain, I would love to know how you came to that conclusion.

nm. i think from the article what it is saying is that I need is picture A, or in reality, just put a bevel on the tip of the cap iron.

I'm pretty sure this is the key advantage as it says in the article:
    ...instead of allowing the iron to lever a shaving such that it breaks below the level of the cut, the cap iron exerts forward pressure on the shaving, preventing it from levering wood before the cutting edge is able to reach it.
    I'll just read that 100 more times until I understand it

Quote Originally Posted by Mishkin Derakhshan View Post
    Just to be clear, you are saying to sharpen the cap iron to sharper angle like B in the (exaggerated) picture?
    At a minimum you need a high-angle "microbevel" at the tip, about 1/64" tall. Ideally you should gradually blend that back into the cap iron's primary bevel, as doing so helps shaving ejection.

From experience the rough finish on that QS/WR cap iron will tend to trap shavings when used with a close-set cap iron. You're going to want to smooth that.