Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaceship command center!

Red face Spaceship command center!

Hey guys,
    I've built a cabinet for a company. It's a live action escape room business.

This cabinet will contain several screens and interactive electronic control systems

There are many seams and exposed plywood edges.

The owner would like the whole thing to look like one solid piece and is keen on using bondo all purpose or similar putty on entire surface.

This is for two reasons.
    1) Hide seams
    2) Durability.

Being that these rooms see a lot of traffic and abuse,
    Alot of their older props are really showing wear and they'd like to increase lifespan.

So the question is if I were to cover these srams and edges with all purpose putty,
    Is it flexible enough not to crack with heavy use AND

Would skim coating the entire cabinet do anything to increase durability and prevent little dents and scratches.

Also, props for building cabinet with all these angles are appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

cover the whole thing in Formica.

also, yes wrong forum.

I think bondo would crack if it was skim coated. it will work for filling edges though.

"Putty", in my understanding, never hardens. Bondo hardens. Wood filler hardens. But putty, no.

Since you have the whole thing built, formica may be difficult. You might consider glassing it, like a boat. You cover the surface with fiberglass cloth and resin.

As above, laminate the entire thing with vertical grade Formica or Wilsonart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D Campos View Post

Also, props for building cabinet with all these angles are appreciated
    Not sure what you should do, but nice job on all those compound angles.

What did you glue it with? If you used epoxy or resorcinol, you can go ahead and bog it and it will be fine. If not, fibreglass the joints, skim coat to blend it in and then finish it. Laminate will work as well without the fibreglassing but it depends what you want it to look like. Cheers

Not related, but I just did one of these room games last weekend. It was pretty fun, and we didn't escape. Turns out we accidentally did the hardest one of the games which didn't help for a first timer

if you have never fiberglassed anything before this should not be the first time doing it lol.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Cover it all in thin gauge sheet metal. Rivet it all together and it will look awesomely retro?

You could take it to a place that sprays pickup truck boxes with urethane rubber. The bed liner will bridge any seams that might move and is not going to show any marks short of someone carving into it with knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Canada View Post
    Cover it all in thin gauge sheet metal. Rivet it all together and it will look awesomely retro?
    That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    if you have never fiberglassed anything before this should not be the first time doing it lol.

Glassing it with a good layer of gelcoat would work really well though. Scratches could be polished out for a long time before the gelcoat is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Canada View Post
    Boom! I was going to offer the same advice. Sheet metal can make it look wicked. Plus you’ll learn some new tricks. Don’t be scared, just get after it and learn your way through it. YOUTUBE!
    -Lud

Here's what someone else did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6zseFi070E

Just for grins.