Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smaller than average non-mini workbenches--want ideas

Lee Valley sells plans for an apartment workbench. I built one a few years back. Using it now for my winter workshop. Works well for a small space and mostly hand tool work. The pictures are from when I first finished it.photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 5.jpg

I have built 60" long and 22" wide workbench with all for sides good for clamping, like a rectangle. Later on I can unbolt top parts and build longer ones... but so far it is long enough:
    DSC_0261.jpg

(Here it is still being constructed, I then added middle board for the top.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I wasn't sure if this would be too tippy.
    This you can solve by putting some heavy stuff on the bottom shelf of the workbench. Like timber storage or clamps storage underneath would do it. Also look at this small workbench on a balcony: https://youtu.be/RFLqy_R1J-c?t=8s

My bench is pretty small. 24 x 60 if I recall correctly

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Might want to consider Roy Underhills "French Work Bench" It can be modified to the size you need and the rear legs being at a rake makes for good stability. Mine ended up having a 17" X 60" X 3" thick work surface that was determined by the size of the pine slab I had and also an 8" tool tray

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights...-bench-part-1/

Great benches all!

For a long time I used a somewhat rickety bench that was ~5' as we moved from one place to the other. However, it became super solid with just a couple screws and careful shimming against the wall. In other words a couple screws go a long way to making a solid bench if it can be against a wall.

Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Highland Woodworking has sold the compact Hammer bench below for many years. The bench is 54” long (including the end vise).The top is about 20” wide (including a 7” tool tray on the back. Mine has been customized to add weight and reduce chips in the “storage” area. It has a simple screw front vise and a similar, full width, tail vise. Mine came with a row of square dogs and two metal dogs. Mine has served me well.

image.jpg

Mine will get broken down for moving in the next day or two. The package it came in was heavy but not too large, freight might be reasonable. I bought mine on sale 10-15 years ago. They do run sales on them at times.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-16-2018 at 10:53 AM.

These are all fantastic suggestions.

I especially like the Lee Valley "Appartment work bench" as it looks like miscellaneous furniture otherwise... If it was all closed up - you would assume it was simply a dresser or small cabinet.

This is an important consideration inside the house... You will need to engage "stealth mode" from time to time.

Thanks, guys!

I'll need to find a good lumberyard to get wood.
    Since I'm still a hobbyist, I don't think that I can justify anything too expensive...but I'd rather get better materials upfront.

I figure that my first few benches won't be Stan quality, but I'll work up to it.

-Matt

ps. I have a Blum workbench as my first "real" workbench, and it works well. I just find it a bit ugly, since it's plywood. It's actually really well built from an industrial standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Thanks, guys!

Since I'm still a hobbyist, I don't think that I can justify anything too expensive...but I'd rather get better materials upfront.

I figure that my first few benches won't be Stan quality, but I'll work up to it.

-Matt

ps. I have a Blum workbench as my first "real" workbench, and it works well. I just find it a bit ugly, since it's plywood. It's actually really well built from an industrial standpoint.
    Don't worry about whether or not your bench is up to the quality you see from Youtube and a lot of the experienced guys around here. Mine is not the most beautiful critter, but it is strong,solid, stable, square(ish), and stiff. It won't win any prizes, but it is a pleasure to work on.
    Build it to the best of your ability, build it strong, and get to work.

My bench is - and has to be, because the shop is small - five feet long. On occasion, I've needed more length, and have then used a 2xwhatever as a planing board. Works fine for my work, but I'm not making eight foot high, ten foot long breakfront cabinets.

Blog Entries
    From Woodsmith #100:

small wb open.PNG . small wb closed.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Have you been to McBeath on Ashby or White lumber near University?

Not sure what is available on the south or east side of you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'll probably go to McBeath's on Ashby.

Now, I'll need to figure out what type of wood to use, what tools I'll need, etc.
    I'm probably overcomplicating things, but definitely looking forward to staying out of the office for a while...very stressful.

Whatever youbuild, get a good vice for it.