Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smaller than average non-mini workbenches--want ideas

Smaller than average non-mini workbenches--want ideas

Hey Creekers,

I finally have my own bedroom again!

However, it's not big enough for a full-sized standard workbench (Roubo or otherwise).
    Even a Moravian is pretty big.

I know this is a silly question, but have you guys ever built a smaller than average non-mini workbench (aka not a Moxon bench on bench)?

I'm trying to come up with ideas.
    Currently, I'm thinking of making a not as deep as average nicholson.

How small are you talking?

I made my basement bench 66" long by 26 1/2" deep. The depth is two separate slabs with a tool well.

I did a bench 60" x 22" that is some kind of morph between a Shaker and a Roubo. I needed the storage from the drawers. The top is about 2-3/8 thick. There is a space of about 6" between the bottom of the top and the top of the drawer unit. I put the legs very close to the ends of the top to get the maximum width for the drawers. The face vise is set inside the leg. I've been quite happy with it.

I saw this today, seems like what you are thinking

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...462389921.html

Thanks, Brandon!

I wasn't sure if it'd be just pointless, or it it'd make sense.
    I was thinking about 48-60" in length and 14-20" wide, about 34" tall.
    I wasn't sure if this would be too tippy.

Hey Richard, any pictures?

My first woodworking was done on a workmate on my front porch. That’s about 30” IIRC and I was surprised just how hand it was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    My first woodworking was done on a workmate on my front porch. That’s about 30” IIRC and I was surprised just how hand it was.
    Same here, a workmate was used for a few years. My first 'real' and still in use bench is a Sjoberg Bench that is 60" (5 feet) by about 22". They are now about twice what mine cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here is one I'm in the middle of building. 48" x 18", 2" thick top, a mix of red and white oak. It's really heavy for it's size. It will be even heavier after I install the end vise and leg vise. I'll be putting it on wheels that will flip up for use as a solid bench on the floor or down to increase the height by 5" or just be able to move it around. Wish I could finish it now but the boss re-assigned me to work on her kitchen.

It's not glued up yet but the M&T's are very snug and it holds together very well just dry fit.

IMG_0898.jpgIMG_0899.jpg

I built a 5'X19. Small, but works well. I did a video series on it.
    It's a long thread, with several videos detailing the progress. If you can pull any ideas from it, I'd be honored. That is the purpose of doing it.
    My advice is don't be in a hurry. Look at all the builds here, on Youtube, etc., and adapt a design or make one up from all the different ideas, to fit what you are needing. That is what I did, and it is a fantastic bench.
    Good luck, and ask these guys lots of questions. They are (mostly) friendly, and know their stuff.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ead&highlight=
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 02-14-2018 at 9:00 PM.

Here's my bench. It's not fancy. I think it's around 50" long and something like 27" deep. I tried to make a kind of 'mini ruobo'. Pretty much patched it together from
    construction lumber I got from work (free!)

workbench.JPG

Guess I should add pictures.

66 x 26.5 and 35.5 inches tall.
    Legs are set in 3.5 inches. It could easily be shorter and still be sturdy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike Siemsen has a you tube video on workholding without vises - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4

The bench featured there strikes me as less than 6' in length and probably in 20-22" width

Actually Mike was demonstrating with a mini version of the bench at the MTCA event in MN this week. The one in his video is pretty close to mine and 7' long and 22-23" wide I think

The one he had at the demo was closer to 4' long and a bit narrower. My understanding is he has long and short ones, main difference is length of stock they can hold. The build video in naked woodworker shows details on how to put it together, that one again is 7' but scale differences in length and height should be pretty easy to adjust for.

The short one I saw him using seemed pretty darn stable.

Here are a couple of pictures showing my hybrid Shaker/Roubo bench and the nitch (dismal nitch for you NW'ers) I have for work. The space between the top and drawers works well with hold fasts, and draw unit is part of the bench's structure, so it is quite ridge. I've been using it for about 5 years.
    20180214_190104_b.jpg.JPG20180214_190018_b.JPG