Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge sander or benchtop 6x48"

Edge sander or benchtop 6x48"

Hi everyone, I am in the market for a new sander for the shop. I am making end grained cutting boards mostly. I am looking for some advice on what type of sander to buy. An 89" edge sander looks like the tool needed for this. However they do take up some room.
    My concern about a benchtop 6x48" might be to small of a belt.

Anyone have any suggestions on what sander would be the best for making cutting boards?

Thanks,
    Marc

Of the two of course an edge sander is the better choice hands down. Bigger/flatter platen, may have oscillating function or angled table, more power, etc.

I assume you already have a drum sander? Because that’s the first sander to get IMO. I’m on the hunt for a used edge sander myself, they don’t come up that often though.

I do have have drum sander 16-32 jet. I love it.
    bigger platen would make a big difference. Edge sander is probably more versatile in the shop too.

Check out the YouTube channel "mtmwood". He is the master of end grain cutting boards and has a series of about 3 "how to" videos. He uses an edge sander for "straightening" the sides and a vertical belt sander for finishing with the grain. I'd think the vertical sander would be the more indispensable of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Donnelly View Post
    I do have have drum sander 16-32 jet. I love it.
    bigger platen would make a big difference. Edge sander is probably more versatile in the shop too.
    I have the Jet edge sander. Very happy with it. It would look nice next to your Jet drum.

You can lay it down in line with the platen to do the sides of the cutting boards in line with the grain.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 02-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Okay, I knew the jet would lay flat but I did not know you can use the platen to support the board at the same time. That's definitely a plus.

Mtmwood is the master of cutting boards.

Hi Mark, I would recommend an edge sander. I own a G.I. 6x89 edge sander.I originally bought it to help out a good friend. It has become a very valuable addition to my shop and I would say probably the most versatile of all of the configurations of sanders for everyday shop use. I have looked at a few different ones and they look like they are all pretty much the same design. Mike.

I have the jet OES-80CS edge/belt sander. Works great. Is fast and powerful.

I have a combo with the 6"x48" and honestly, it wouldn't be ideal for edge sanding of boards, although you can do it using a miter bar and some careful movement. Edge sander would be ideal for cleaning edges of the cutting boards in the same way that it's helpful to folks making cabinet doors. IMHO, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Edge sander would be my choice. I have a 6 x 48 combo and use it for lots of things, but edge sanding is not one of them. The platen is just too small.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The platen is just too small.
    Exactly John. All it takes is a couple edges that end up with a radius to realize it. I sold mine after it sat unused for a few years.

Thanks everyone for all you comments and knowledge. So it looks like I will be buying a Jet edge sander.

Thanks again!

Whats the price of a Jet edge sander? Does it oscillate? Angled table across paper width and oscillation makes for very effective use of the paper with very little sanding lines and reduces heat and burning. I am a fan of the vega oes.

Yes it oscillates. It's main drawback is the table has to be raised manually and it's a bit heavy.

A table raising mechanism is not that hard to do. I made one. The pictures are posted on this forum.